Exchange 2010 restored from backup - need to rebuild with the log files RRS feed

• Question

• Disaster Recovery time: Client site with SBS2011 (Exchange 2010) suffered a storage drive failure. The D:\ drive the EDB was on was corrupted. The C:\ drive the LOG files were on was fine.

We have had to restore Exchange from the "last good backup" (via SBS Inbuilt Windows Backup). That restore is a clean database recovery, the EDB and LOG files come backup successfully using Windows Backup "Restore Applications" albeit to an alternate location.

We have the exchange logs files from the undamaged C:\ drive - they are from the date of the "last good backup" through to the day the drive failure. I'm assuming we can "repopulate" the restored 'mailbox database.edb' using these log files using the ESEUTIL command?

The problem is that when I run a ESETUIL /ML E00 on the log files on the undamaged C:\ there is one single log file right in the middle that returns "-501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt" (E000AEC46.log)

Questions:
    a) is there any way I can exclude/bypass that log file?
    b) which recovery process is the most appropriate given I have an 'out of date' but healthy EDB and all of the logs from that date forward?

Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:58 PM

Answers

• Keep a clean copy of the database because ESEUTIL /P may lose data.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:35 PM
  • If you don't have a complete set of log files since that backup, then you'll have to restore it back to the date of the backup and write off all the transactions since that time.

You might consider obtaining a third-party tool such as Kroll OnTrack or Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange to see what you can get off what you have.

This article might be of help to you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123479%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

To make sure that the log files that is required is in a Clean state, you have performed Eseutil /ml .

According to the error "-501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt" , I suggest you can try to run Eseutil in /P mode to perform a database page-level and table-level repair.

Then run Eseutil in /D mode to fully rebuild indexes and defragment the database.

More detailed information about Eseutil /P Repair Mode, please refer to the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997152(v=exchg.80).aspx  

Regards,                                                                                                              

David 

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:33 AM

All replies

• If you don't have a complete set of log files since that backup, then you'll have to restore it back to the date of the backup and write off all the transactions since that time.

You might consider obtaining a third-party tool such as Kroll OnTrack or Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange to see what you can get off what you have.

This article might be of help to you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123479%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

To make sure that the log files that is required is in a Clean state, you have performed Eseutil /ml .

According to the error "-501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt" , I suggest you can try to run Eseutil in /P mode to perform a database page-level and table-level repair.

Then run Eseutil in /D mode to fully rebuild indexes and defragment the database.

More detailed information about Eseutil /P Repair Mode, please refer to the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997152(v=exchg.80).aspx  

Regards,                                                                                                              

David 

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Keep a clean copy of the database because ESEUTIL /P may lose data.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:35 PM