none
Successful Performance Counter Collection vs. Not Applicable Collection Status RRS feed

• Question

• I have three machines I'm examining with the 6.5.4226.0 version of the MAP Toolkit.  I'm a little confused about the status screen during the collection of performance data.  There was one other topic that kind of sounded like mine, but wasn't really comprehensible.

MAP 5.5 Problem with connection and collection status

I'm including picture of the screen I'm getting here.

There's a message stating that performance data is successfully being collected from all three machines.  However, all three are showing up in the "Not Applicable" column for WMI and Registry methods, which were the only two that showed up when I indicated "Windows" and "Exchange" during the types of workloads I was evaluating.

Is this a normal result?  Are the WMI and Registry methods not the methods used to collect CPU, Memory, Network I/O, Disk I/O, and Disk Space usage metrics?  Should I have read that I'm getting stats from three machines successfully and ignored the rest?

• Edited by John White PFW Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:24 AM random html removed
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:24 AM

Answers

• The “Collection Schedule” and “Connection Status” sections show information that relates to the actual performance data collection. Before performance data is collected, MAP runs the inventory process in case any of the machines that have been specified for performance data have not been successfully inventoried. The “Computer Discovery”, “Collection Status”, and “Duplicate Removals” sections all refer to the inventory process. Since the 3 machines had all been successfully inventoried previously, they are not being retried and therefore don’t apply to the current success or failure status.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:09 PM
  • There are two separate processes that occur when you run the performance collection. The first is an inventory. In your screen shot it shows that the 20 machines that you wish to monitor performance data have already completed the inventory previously, therefore there are 20 “Not Applicable” counts in the “Collection Status” which is the section that deals with the Inventory process.

The “Connection Status” section deals with performance data, and your screen shot shows that there are 20 machines having performance counters collected successfully.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:21 AM

All replies

• The “Collection Schedule” and “Connection Status” sections show information that relates to the actual performance data collection. Before performance data is collected, MAP runs the inventory process in case any of the machines that have been specified for performance data have not been successfully inventoried. The “Computer Discovery”, “Collection Status”, and “Duplicate Removals” sections all refer to the inventory process. Since the 3 machines had all been successfully inventoried previously, they are not being retried and therefore don’t apply to the current success or failure status.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Dear Michael

i also have the same issue according to the below pic . i use version 6.5.. i don't understand if the wizard will generate performance metric wizard accurate data or not ..because it indicates that the 20 server not applicaple on both WMI & Registry ..

so please can you identify a solution for this issue

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:06 AM
  • There are two separate processes that occur when you run the performance collection. The first is an inventory. In your screen shot it shows that the 20 machines that you wish to monitor performance data have already completed the inventory previously, therefore there are 20 “Not Applicable” counts in the “Collection Status” which is the section that deals with the Inventory process.

The “Connection Status” section deals with performance data, and your screen shot shows that there are 20 machines having performance counters collected successfully.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Thanks.  That clarifies things.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 1:04 AM