Word 2016 QuickStyles - Design tab permanent 'refresh' RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

As soon as I drop in a single .dotx file into Users' QuickStyles folder, the Design tab goes crazy. Delete the file, it goes back to normal.

I thought it might be because the original dotx came from Word 2010. So I created it from scratch - deleted it from the QuickStyles folder, even deleted Normal.dotm. Started properly again. Customized everything how I needed, saved it as a new dotx, put it in the QuickStyles folder and set it as the default style, and the Design tab is straight back to going crazy!

What's going on?

Thanks

PS: We don't have this issue in Outlook.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:53 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the update.

If you have the AppData folder redirected, I'm afraid that this is a known issue and the issue should be on windows behavior side. Here are some related info:

When the AppData folder is set to a remote directory and there is a style in the directory, Office code monitors what we are getting back from MsoWaitForSingleObject that there has been a change inside the directory (even though no changes have taken place), so the styles are reloaded. Office code relies on MsoWaitForSingleObject (part of Windows component) sending the correct notifications.

Hope the above info helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How many users are affected by this issue? Can you reproduce it on another computer?

Which version of Windows OS are you using? Please make sure you have installed all available updates to your Windows and the see whether this issue continues.

Do you have the AppData folder redirected to a remote directory? I found a similar one which is a known issue when redirecting the AppData folder.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Everyone who has Windows 10 and Office 2016. Windows 7 with Office 2010 doesn't suffer.

Yes, we have all updates and yes, we have redirected AppData (along with all other user folders). Plus we have Offline Files for mobile users. Interestingly, if force Work Offline, the issue goes away.

Weird!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

If you have the AppData folder redirected, I'm afraid that this is a known issue and the issue should be on windows behavior side. Here are some related info:

When the AppData folder is set to a remote directory and there is a style in the directory, Office code monitors what we are getting back from MsoWaitForSingleObject that there has been a change inside the directory (even though no changes have taken place), so the styles are reloaded. Office code relies on MsoWaitForSingleObject (part of Windows component) sending the correct notifications.

Hope the above info helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:45 AM
  • OK, thanks Steve.

Do you know of any (planned) updates that fix this issue?

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:46 AM
  • We have submitted the issue to the product team but we cannot determine the exact date when this will be fixed. I believe the team are working on this. Hope it could be fixed soon.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:53 AM