none
Project Level using Task ID / Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I don't use project often, but when I do, I usually alter how Project levels the project by specifying it should use task id as a priority (Options, Advanced,.....it's deep!)

In my simple projects this is perfect, as each tasks levels Finish-Start mode without having to enter dependencies and/or resources.

In 2010, it looks like Project has swung the pendulum by going fully automatic, or fully manual mode.  

I've hunted for the option to alter the priority of the auto level function - but can't find it in this version.  

This "feature" was not well known, and every PM I told about it, loved the feature when they were initially creating their project.

Is it still in Project 2010? If so, where do I find it?  I've been all through the File, Options (that took awhile to find), and could not find it under Advanced.

HELP! 

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On the resource ribbon there is a button "Leveling Options". There it's in.

• Marked as answer by codputer Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the resource ribbon there is a button "Leveling Options". There it's in.

• Marked as answer by codputer Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.! Re-enforces just how much I don't like the ribbon.  It may be great for new users, but I find for experienced users, it sure is hard to find stuff!

I'm finding however, that this leveling feature is not working as I expected.  I removed all the dependencies in the project, altered the leveling order, and the tasks remained all starting on the first day of the project.

I made sure all tasks are "Auto Schedule",and still nothing.

Does this mean I have to add a resource, or dependency to lay down this tasks in FS fashion?

Regards,

Richard
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Richard --

Since it now evening in Europe, where Jan lives, he may not see your follow up question until tomorrow.  Therefore, permit me to bump into this thread. You need to assign resources to the tasks in your project before leveling has any affect on the task schedule.  Remember that leveling the process of resolving resource overallocations.  If you do not have resources assigned to the tasks, you do not have any resource overallocations to level.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Dale,

I figured as much, so I just added a "Developer" resource to each of the tasks.  I don't use Project often, but back in the day, I did spend some time with it.  I know Project has to serve a wide audience, and it has tremendous capability, however, I'm always amazed that they can't seem to cover off the basic Project outline. 

If a user just wanted to lay out a bunch of tasks, without adding a bunch of dependencies or bogus resources, what is wrong with a simple collection of Finish-Start tasks? I have a hundred or so tasks in the project in multiple depths of hierarchy.  I had to select each collection and assign a resource to each one of them.  The same would be true if I ignored the resource and created dependencies between the tasks.  Either one means more work for no value, especially when you go down the dependency route, which makes moving tasks around a nightmare.

This is one of the reasons most people, let alone some PM's, use excel to do their project planning.

IMHO!

Thanks again for the help!

Richard

Richard
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Richard --

You are more than welcome for the help, but I certainly do not agree with your assessment of how to use Microsoft Project.  Based on your description of the behavior you seek, I think you should consider going back to Excel, with all of those other PM's you know who are using it.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

The reason why I sdisagree with your suggestion here is that when you link the tasks, and people execute them in an other order (likely since you did not think about the order when linking) correcting that is hell of a job: unlinking, looking for new links...

Whereas with leveling, once you tracked the work done, re-leveling gives a new plan with one click.

Greetings,

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:06 AM