none
Upgrade of MDT to be up to date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got MDT 2013 version  6.2.5019.0 (in Control panel) since 2015.
    I using still only Windows 7 64 bit images.
    I need to in near future upgrade to Windows 10.

Do I have to upgrade MDT 2013 to be up to date or not?
    If yes, will still work my OLD Windows 7 images?
    What steps do I have to do?

Thanks for any advice.

Friday, April 6, 2018 12:19 PM

All replies

• There is a new MDT version available (build 8450), which is indeed fully compatible with older operating systems (Windows 7+), so yes, I would definetely update if I were in your shoes. Here are a few helpful links to get you started:

Keep in mind, that you will indeed need an updated version of ADK to be fully compliant with Windows 10 1803. And since you are coming from an older release of MDT, the general recommendation is to recreate your task sequences in order to take full advantage of updates and fixes to TS / unattend.xml templates.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, April 6, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

1.recreate your task sequences  means create them new again or just update the deployment share?

2. If I update the MDT do I have to install new Windows 10 drivers for all type of machines for boot Windows PE (boot.wim=LiteTouchPE_x86.wim)

Today test:

Right now with OLD MDT I can capture the Windows 10 but I had to disable Syprep step in the Task Sequence. So, if I want know sysprep I have to run it manually.

Thanks for advice.

• Edited by Mirek81 Monday, April 9, 2018 2:32 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Could be, but you need to be more specific than that. Either way, I would start by updating your MDT installation, upgrading your deployment share, regenerating boot images and then re-creating your task sequences (and yes, re-creating means rebuilding, but you can copy paste most / all of your custom actions from your old TSs into new ones). Full support for Windows 10 was added in MDT 2013 U1, I believe, while your version is pure MDT 2013.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

I got MDT 2013 version  6.2.5019.0 (in Control panel) since 2015.
    I using still only Windows 7 64 bit images.
    I need to in near future upgrade to Windows 10.

Do I have to upgrade MDT 2013 to be up to date or not?
    If yes, will still work my OLD Windows 7 images?
    What steps do I have to do?

Thanks for any advice.

Here's a guide for upgrading - A Geeks Guide for upgrading to MDT 8450

Edit: Just noticed Anton had that posted too. 

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Monday, April 9, 2018 8:34 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Hi Anton,

yes, mine version is pure MDT 2013.

If will update to version MDT 2013 ver 8450, do I have to put new Windows 10 drivers to recreate boot images?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for the guide.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:31 PM
  • You should always use drivers that match the version of WinPE that you are using. So if you're using the latest ADK, you should use Windows 10 drivers for your boot image.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:54 PM