Sony .Arw files and Windows Photo Gallery RRS feed

• Question

• Righty, 18 months ago i built a pc loaded with Vista Ultimate. It worked fine, and i was able to properly view .arw files with windows photo gallery once i had installed the Sony Codec.

Last week my HDD failed, and i was forced to reload windows. All came up fine, activated, and did all the SPs, and Updates. I copied my Photos back, and reloaded the same codec from the sony site, only to find my .Arw Raw images do not display properly within the Windows Photo Gallery.

I can open them, but they display in a very pixelated format (Almost as if you took a 640x480 res image, and zoomed in so it was full screen (1050x900). All .Jpg images work fine and display at the correct resolution - including the ones where i specified Raw & Jpg on the camera (Sony DSLR-A100)

If i open the same .arw files with Gimp, or the Sony Picture viewer the .arw files display fine also, but both pieces of software take an age to load, and i'd rather preview my images first.

I have double checked i have all the updates, i have removed and reloaded the SRD20_Installer0810a.exe version of the codec pack, and neither seemed to make any difference at all.

I have also approached sony, and they say that if their utility works ok, it is a problem with Windows Photo Gallery.

Any ideas?

ToGGoT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

• Managed to sort it myself eventually.

For anyone elses reference, Sony will deny all responsibility for this problem, but it is actually their codec that is the issue. I discovered that the Sony Singapore website hosts the old (SRD11_Installer) version of the codec rahter than the new one, which Sony has removed from all of their global sites.

I removed the V2.0, and loaded this, and hey presto - works fine.

ToGGoT
    • Marked as answer by ToGGoT Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:08 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:07 PM