none
reference + custom image : no WSUS, updates installed more than once?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I’m running some experiments for deploying Windows 10 using MDT (on Windows 2012 Server).

What I would like to do :

1) Create a ‘reference image’, and hereby install some applications (e.g. Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 - x64 ), and update this image with all available updates so the installation is up-to-date.

-> technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/create-a-windows-10-reference-image

2) Create a production deployment share, use the image that was created in 1], add some applications (e.g. Adobe Reader) … and set to check if any updates (in addition to the ones that already were added in 1]) need to be installed. So, we create a ‘custom image’.

-> technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/deploy-a-windows-10-image-using-mdt

3) Deploy the custom image on a new PC.

And … do not use a WSUS-server, but connect to Microsoft Update !

The problem that occurs : updates are installed more than once (both in reference and custom), and manual updates also fails after deployment!

During the creation of the reference image in the article in 1], they use the following line in ‘CustomSettings.ini’ :

-> WSUSServer=http://mdt01.contoso.com:8530

I simply deleted that line, because I thought that removing it should instruct MDT to use the Microsoft Update instead of a WSUS-server.

And indeed, it seemed to work, because while building the reference image, several updates were downloaded and installed.

Then I used that reference image (with updates?!) for the creation of the custom image.

For this custom image, I also selected ‘check updates’, because I wanted to check if any other updates (additional to the ones that are already present in the reference image) are available, and should be installed.

I tried 2 options :

* no WSUSServer in ‘CustomSettings.ini’ for the production deployment

* WSUSServer=”” in ‘CustomSettings.ini’ for the production deployment

I would expect that this build would be a lot faster, but that wasn’t the case. It seems to me as if the same updates are installed again! I would expect them to be already present in the reference image, so they don’t have to be installed again!

So, I get the impression that during the built of the custom image, the same updates were installed as during the built of the reference image.

Additional, when the custom image is deployed on a new PC, if you try to check for updates manually, you get the error “We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet”.

Removing the registry key ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate’ fixes that problem.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Summarizing :

1) I want to create a reference image, with some applications, and make sure the OS is completely up-to-date.

2) Use this reference image for creation of a custom image, with some additional applications and make sure to check if some additional updates (that are not yet included in the reference image) are available.

3) Deploy Windows 10 on new PC

4) I don’t have a WSUS-server, so use the Microsoft Update

Regards,

John.

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:25 AM

All replies