none
SHould I upgrade to DPM 2012??? RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have 5 DPM 2010 servers running on Server 2008 R2.  We backup to disk for 30 days and do monthly tape backups. All of the DPM server share a Tape library.  The work loads we are backing up include; SharePoint 2010, SQL 2005, 2008 & 2012, Active Directory, File and Image servers, Hyper-V, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2.

We have upgraded our SCOM and SCCM to the 2012 versions,  however have waited on the DPM environment.  We have no plans of going to Server 2012 in the near future.

The 2010 environment is working well for us now.  Is it beneficial to upgrade DPM to 2012.  I am looking for some insight from an admistrators perspective on what has been improved upon.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To help you make a decision, here is a list of added featured in DPM 2012.

1.       Centralized Management of DPM Servers (built on top of System Center Operations Manager )

2.       Certificate Based Protection Backup machines from domains not trusted by the DPM Server domain including workgroup machines using certificates

3.       Enhanced Hyper-V Support – Faster Hyper-V backups (Express Full) support for standalone Hyper-V hosts and ability to perform item level recovery even when DPM is running inside a VM.

4.       Enhanced SharePoint Support– Recover files in seconds. Item level Recovery without moving content DBs. SharePoint RBS Support.

5.       SQL FILESTREAM Support

6.       Cool New UI

7.       TAPE Feature Enhancements – Improved reliability, space optimization and more flexible job management capabilities.

8.       Consolidate databases of multiple DPM Servers on same SQL Instance.

9.       And as always, seamless upgrade experience from your existing DPM environment (DPM 2010).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Mike.  Can you tell me where I can get detailed infromation on the SCOM integration and consolidation of DPM databases.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:48 PM