CS3 compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• In searching MANY forums about CS3 compatibility with Windows 7, most of them related to problems experienced when downloading Windows 7 themselves and getting many error messages.  Would those problems not be encountered if you purchased a pc with Windows 7 already downloaded and then load CS3?  I'm soon to purchase a new pc and need to make the decision whether to go with Vista or Windows 7.     
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:04 PM

Answers

• I have the same AMD processor with the HP Pavillion Elite and Windows 7 Home Premium. I also had the same problem with Photoshop CS3 hanging. I almost gave up after reading these posts (and others), but then I discovered a solution. It's a patch from Adobe that allows CS3 to work with the licensing of AMD processors (Note: I had no error message about the licensing when I tried to load CS3, however. Instead, CS3 would just freeze.) The patch worked perfectly. I was able to load CS3 immediately after downloading and activating the patch and am up and running with it. Here's where I found the information about the patch:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/25313-adobe-cs3-64-bit-ultimate-3.html

and here's a link to the patch itself:

Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:39 PM

All replies

• According to Adobe CS3 and CS4 are compatible with Windows 7 (tested with Windows 7 Ultimate). No updates are needed.

Monday, November 2, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hello,

If you are not sure of windows 7, go for a beta version of windows 7 and check.

CS3 is a Adobe photoshop software..Other Adobe Photoshop product like Lightroom is compatible with Windows 7.
    And according to my understanding, this software should be compatible with Windows 7.

You may check this in the given link.This might help you in some way.

For windows 7 on your new PC, check this link.I hope this will be of your use.

Let me know if there are further concerns.

Thanks,

Jobin

• Proposed as answer by Jobin Joshua Monday, November 9, 2009 1:33 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:29 PM

• Two weeks ago, I bought a brand new, high powered HP Pavilion desktop running Windows 7 64 bit to handle my CS3 programs. Ever since then, I have been trying to get my CS3 Design Premium to run. It loads just fine, but only Bridge will open and operate, unless Acrobat 8 is installed. Then Bridge won't even load. Acrobat 8 is definitely incompatible and has crashed my brand new computer several times!! And, impossible to uninstall by any method. I've discovered, unfortunately, there are loads of online reports of this same situation.

I've called Adobe Tech Reps about my CS3 problems FOUR times in the past two weeks, all with no success. I've even received emails from them saying my issue "has been solved." Ha! Not so. I have even restored my HP to its factory state three times (what a pain to reload all my programs, etc. over and over) - first to make sure the Windows 7 was a clean install and later to get rid of Acrobat 8 (the only way to do it). Still CS3 loads, but programs won't open. Photoshop will at least open a Windows window, but not the program. It freezes and takes a force close by Windows to get it off the screen. Illustrator and InDesign don't even attempt to launch.

After struggling with this to the point of hysteria (and incredible anger given Adobe said CS3 was for sure compatible with Windows 7 64-bit), I discovered an installed Windows 7 compatibility check program. Lo! What a surprise. It determined after some checking that all the CS3 programs are incompatible with Windows 7.

So BEWARE!!!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:29 PM
  • after this discovery that cs3 was not going to work....did you try cs4? just curious...i'm facing the same issue. I hate to invest into cs4 if it will not work either.

Friday, November 13, 2009 12:12 AM

• To be honest, I'm ging to wait for CS5 upgrade or whatever is specifically designed for Windows 7. (PS - So far, Win7 lives up to its hype, as far as I can see). I wouldn't put out the money now for CS4 because I'd be taking the word of Adobe that it would work. All the assurances on Adobe's website that both CS3 and CS4 would definitely work with Win7 -- and that the CS3 DID NOT work -- well, I'm just spooky.

I ended up cleaning misc programs off an old laptop running Vista SP2 and loading the CS3 there. It was a nervous moment when I launched Photoshop because it started just as before on Win7 - the "Not Responding" and spinning curser. Then McAfee's program splash showed up in the middle of the window for a while and, suddenly, Photoshop was operational!!! I was able to register it without further incident. All the programs opened and I was able to enter my preferences.

All this happened this afternoon and, at the moment, automatic Adobe downloads are in progress to bring the CS3 back up to snuff. This makes me wonder if McAfee would have helped on Windows 7, too. I just installed McAfee yesterday thinking maybe Norton's invasive anti-everything program might have been a culprit. However, I'm not going to even try a reinstall to Win7 a try at this point. I'm back in business after a 2-week, very stressful hiatus, and I don't want to rock the boat.

This has been a wild ride!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:39 AM
  • Let me guess - Your new computer has an AMD processor? I had this exact issue after buying a brand new HP Pavillion Elite, with W7 home 64 bit AMD Phenom x4 and 8G ddr3. I also purchased a laptop with the same setup but has 6G ram and Intel Duo core processor. Let me tell you that everything works perfect on the laptop and nothing would work on the deskltop. After a week of cust support call to Microsoft, Adobe and HP, the one thing I could narrow down is the processor. So, I went back to the store and traded in the HP with AMD processor for a Gateway with Intel Duo Core and imagine this - ADOBE CS3 installed and works PERFECTLY. None of the customer support agents could help me and nobody has an answer to why this is the case, but until they do, save yourself the headaches and get an INTEL PROCESSOR!!
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:56 PM
  • YOU ARE RIGHT about the processor ... have exactly what you said for the Pavillion Elite. But mine is a Pavillion p6230y - a nice, un-dramatic name for a powerful computer, probably one generation before the Elite. I saw the Elite at the store and it cost about the same as this, but without a monitor. What a tragedy one has to consider trading DOWN to accommodate CS3 and Adobe. Woeful. Wonder if this is true for CS4 -- would HATE to invest in that to have the same issues!

I also accidently discovered I have two Adobe accounts - one from years ago that somehow has ended up with some of the trouble tickets I initiated on this issue. That's how I realized there were 2 accounts. Oddly, neither of the accounts has my CS3 listed, although my CS1 is in the current account and an ancient Photoshop Elements in the earlier one. I also wonder if this could have had an impact?? I'll probably never know at this point.

Meanwhile, my old laptop chugs along without all the other programs on it. It's not great, but under the circumstances, not doing too badly and at least I'm back to some paying work. Really appreciate your input. Dealing with Adobe has been an exercise in frustration.
    • Proposed as answer by Artype Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:32 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:29 PM
  • I have the same AMD processor with the HP Pavillion Elite and Windows 7 Home Premium. I also had the same problem with Photoshop CS3 hanging. I almost gave up after reading these posts (and others), but then I discovered a solution. It's a patch from Adobe that allows CS3 to work with the licensing of AMD processors (Note: I had no error message about the licensing when I tried to load CS3, however. Instead, CS3 would just freeze.) The patch worked perfectly. I was able to load CS3 immediately after downloading and activating the patch and am up and running with it. Here's where I found the information about the patch:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/25313-adobe-cs3-64-bit-ultimate-3.html

and here's a link to the patch itself:

Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Hi there,
    I have not been having the issues that I read here.
    I am finding that all the photos that I had previously labeled and rated in Browse are all LOCKED now.
    I cannot re-label or un-label any of them.
    This only happens with ones I had done before installing Windows 7.
    Yet a brand new folder of pics I CAN label and rate.
    Also I cannot BATCH RENAME my folders either. They are LOCKED !!
    Anyone hear of this and know what to do to change this.
    I , myself am VERY disappointed in Windows 7 ... it is TOOO simplified now where you cannot do ANYTHING ! it sucks !
    When I was having problems with BROWSE, I thought I could go to windows explore and name my photos in there.
    LOL !! What a JOKE !! I cannot do ANYTHING Is stupid explore anymore! WHAT is the POINT !! STUPID!!
    Can't move pictures, can't rename a batch of photos. Everything is LOCKED !! I am HATING windows 7 and if I think I will be going back to Vista if I don't find answers SOON !
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Sorry to tell you but your issues are not windows.

Think about it, this is not how things work.
    If it was windows at fault you would see a riot.
    you have done something wrong or you are doing something wrong.

I think maybe you are not in the right folders.
    tell us the path of the folders you are messing with.

was this an upgrade or a clean install??
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am not sure what you are asking as I am not a computer wiz. LOL.
    I do think that Browse in Photoshop "may" be some other program, but is it normal for Windows 7 to not allow ANY editing in
    Explore??? I did not upgrade, we cleaned up my computer and installed it fresh. There are features I do like about Windows 7, but if explore
    is going to be useless to me, it will only frustrate me.

I am not sure what you mean by I amy or may not be in the "right' folders.

I have made sure that the files are not "read only" and they are still locked???

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:38 AM
  • The problem still is there even if Windows is already installed in a new computer.  I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and I can't get Photoshop to work in CS3 or CS4.  I downloaded CS4 trial and it doesn't work either.  I even upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and it still doesn't work.  I still get the same message as before.  In the end I get the message that it is not compatible.  Wish I had known this before I upgraded which cost $86.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Hi there,
    I have not been having the issues that I read here.
    I am finding that all the photos that I had previously labeled and rated in Browse are all LOCKED now.
    I cannot re-label or un-label any of them.
    This only happens with ones I had done before installing Windows 7.
    Yet a brand new folder of pics I CAN label and rate.
    Also I cannot BATCH RENAME my folders either. They are LOCKED !!
    Anyone hear of this and know what to do to change this.
    I , myself am VERY disappointed in Windows 7 ... it is TOOO simplified now where you cannot do ANYTHING ! it sucks !
    When I was having problems with BROWSE, I thought I could go to windows explore and name my photos in there.
    LOL !! What a JOKE !! I cannot do ANYTHING Is stupid explore anymore! WHAT is the POINT !! STUPID!!
    Can't move pictures, can't rename a batch of photos. Everything is LOCKED !! I am HATING windows 7 and if I think I will be going back to Vista if I don't find answers SOON !

At a guess, it sounds like you need to take ownership of some directories and files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

I'm not sure why upgrading to Win7 might do this. I didn't install it as an upgrade, myself: clean install instead.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:50 AM
  • The problem still is there even if Windows is already installed in a new computer.  I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and I can't get Photoshop to work in CS3 or CS4.  I downloaded CS4 trial and it doesn't work either.  I even upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and it still doesn't work.  I still get the same message as before.  In the end I get the message that it is not compatible.  Wish I had known this before I upgraded which cost $86.

No problem here with Photoshop CS4 Standard.

My OS is Win7 Home Premium X64. Both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Photoshop are installed, and run. I haven't used it extensively, but there have been no hints of any problem.

This is from a version purchased and downloaded from Adobe. (No install DVD.) I've let it install all available updates.

I can't explain your problem, but I doubt that Microsoft is lying about CS3 and CS4 being compatible with Win7. Perhaps someone could assist you if you provided some information about the errors you have been getting. (I probably wouldn't be able to help, as I've had nothing to troubleshoot.)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Thank you so much for posting this info. I wasn't able to have my CS3 work with my new computer(Windows 7, AMD procesor), my old one crashed. Photoshop CS3 just stayed for ever frozen but after I follow the instructions on the link, I got it to work.

Thanks again!!

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:31 AM