none
Excel problem with pinning files. RRS feed

• Question

• In Excel, when I 'Open' a file, I can select 'Recent Workbooks' to quickly find files I recently opened.  So I don't have to hunt and peck for the file each time I want to open it, there's a "pin" to the right of the workbook name.  For the ones I want, I select that pin icon, and it will pin it at the top for me.  However, it doesn't stick.  It works for a few days or weeks, but then it disappears and I have to look for the file via Open/Computer/Browse and then repin it.  Does anyone know why this feature is not permanent and how do I fix it?<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi elc,

When did you get this issue? Which version of Office are you using?

Fist I suggest you try to open Excel in safe mode and check if this option works fine in safe mode. If it did, I suggest you check the 3-rd party programs and try to disable add-ins in Excel.

Then if this issue still exists, I suggest you try to reset the XLB file in your computer. XLB is a setting file format created by Microsoft Excel. XLB files contain custom settings for the toolbars (or command bars). These settings can be edited or customized by selecting “toolbar” from the view options.

Please go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel, and rename Excel1*.xlb to Excel1*.xlb.old, restart Excel.

Please try these methods and check if they work for you. I'm glad to help and follow up your reply.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:44 AM