Check mark boxes next to desktop icons RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my Vaio back from Best Buy after having viruses removed, and getting a new hard drive (the other one failed, apparently). Upon start up today, I noticed check mark boxes next to my desktop icons and other folders. They pop up when I hover over the icon or folder. I know its a trivial issue, but I am pretty ____ when it comes to the appearance and layout of my computer, and this is driving me absolutely CRAZY.

Sorry I couldn't be clearer, but here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about. Help?!

http://i55.tinypic.com/10p390m.jpg

Thanks in advance, guys! I appreciate it.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:43 AM

Answers

• I like this features, which was added in Vista. You disable this feature by disabling the option "Use check boxes to select items" in the Windows Explorer options. The checkboxes make it easier to select more fails. With the CRTL way it can happen that you copy files unintentionally.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, January 24, 2011 1:59 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• I like this features, which was added in Vista. You disable this feature by disabling the option "Use check boxes to select items" in the Windows Explorer options. The checkboxes make it easier to select more fails. With the CRTL way it can happen that you copy files unintentionally.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, January 24, 2011 1:59 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Type the word folder into your Start menu, then choose the Folder Options that appears.  From the View tab, find the option to disable "use checkboxes to select items", and you'll be all set.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Sorry Shawn, no need to tell the user exactly the same to get points for an answers. Such behavior sucks
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hey don't hate, I honestly didn't see your reference to the folder options, I thought you had just given an opinion of the feature until I looked again after getting an alert email.  I hate that behavior too, trust me I don't do it as a general rule. Apologies again,

Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Shawn! Thanks for your help! As far as what Andre said, it was helpful 1/2 way.. for someone like me and Riana above, we would have no clue where to find this option that Andre talked about. So fantastic job in helping make a 1/2 answer complete and 10x more helpful. Sorry Andre, 1/2 point for you only.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Shawn! Thanks for your help! As far as what Andre said, it was helpful 1/2 way.. for someone like me and Riana above, we would have no clue where to find this option that talked about. So fantastic job in helping make a 1/2 answer complete and 10x more helpful. Sorry Andre, 1/2 point for you only.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Actually, Shawn's answer was clearer than yours because he told the user how to get to that option where you just said that you change it without saying how to reach it.
    • Edited by yonime Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:07 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Thank you Shawn, I just got my notebook and I'm one of those guys who are computer illiterates. I don't usually understand most terms and descriptions of what to do when given by someone with alot of knowledge already, but you made it simple and efficient. Thank you again, without people like you who took the time too explain what to do step by step I'd be lost. Don't let haters hate on you because you were more effective, in my opinion you had no reason to apologize. 
    Friday, January 9, 2015 9:42 PM
  • LOL thanks for replying. It's awesome how many of these posts are supporting me but it wasn't my intention really to try to hijack someone else's post. But I'm glad I could get you what you need :)

Shawn Keene

Friday, January 9, 2015 9:44 PM
  • work together...i actually understood shawns directions easy but only skimmed over the other one complaining about points.....if i had some points id give them all to you.....thanks again shawan for eing short sweet and complete
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 3:50 AM