none
DHCP Failover - replicating reservations and scope options RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for a little clarity...

I'm setting up a DHCP Failover partnership in Load Balancing mode on two 2012 R2 servers. I understand reservations and scope options must be replicated manually if a reservation/option is modified on one of the failover partners.

Can this replication can be run on *EITHER* DHCP partner?

If I run Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication on partner_1, does this mean that partner_2 will get whatever reservations/scope options were on partner_1, *REPLACING* whatever reservations/scope options were on partner_2 previously?

If this is the case, Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication should *ONLY* be run on partner_1 and IT staff needs to be instructed to use *ONLY* partner_1 when updating reservations/options.

Is this correct?

• Edited by jott220 Friday, February 5, 2016 7:52 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 7:51 PM

Answers

• As you have a load balancing setup, both servers are considered to be fully independent and that is why the commands you shared won't take effect. Please note that you can develop Powershell scripts so that reservations could be exported regularly from each server and imported on the other one.

See the list of available cmdlets here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590751(v=wps.630).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi jott220,

If I run Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication on partner_1, does this mean that partner_2 will get whatever reservations/scope options were on partner_1, *REPLACING* whatever reservations/scope options were on partner_2 previously? If this is the case, Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication should *ONLY* be run on partner_1 and IT staff needs to be instructed to use *ONLY* partner_1 when updating reservations/options.

I have built a new environment to test this issue.

If i use the ps command:Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication on one of the failover server,

I didn't find out anything were changed on partener servers.

>> I understand reservations and scope options must be replicated manually if a reservation/option is modified on one of the failover partners.

You could use the powershell scripts to automatic sync the DHCP scopes between the failover servers.

Creating a windows task scheduler and add the script into the scheduler and set a specific time to run it.

I suppose by this way you could reduce a lot of time and management costs.

For detailed scripts, please refer to link below:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Auto-syncing-of-configurati-6eb54fb0

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

• Edited by Hello_2018 Sunday, February 7, 2016 9:26 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2016 9:19 AM
  • As you have a load balancing setup, both servers are considered to be fully independent and that is why the commands you shared won't take effect. Please note that you can develop Powershell scripts so that reservations could be exported regularly from each server and imported on the other one.

See the list of available cmdlets here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590751(v=wps.630).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:47 PM