Cannot access shared folders of Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• A PC running newly installed Windows 8 cannot access the shared folders of a Windows 7 PC, however it can access the shared folders of a Windows Vista box without any problem.  The Windows 7 PC can access the Windows 8 box by logging on.

It gets the following error message whenever trying to access the Windows 7 PC:

\\Win7PC is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network source. 

Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

\\Win7PC is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network source. 

Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Everyone is granted the permission to access the shared folders.

Any tip will be greatly appreciated. 

Hong

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:30 PM

Answers

• Took me awhile to figure out why I was unable to join the workgroup but  once I assumed "ownership" of my system, all was well.

Have a look at    http://tinyurl.com/b6ywku9

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Glenn_OCZ Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 23, 2012 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:33 PM
  • It is working now.  

Unfortunately I am unable to be 100% sure what I did has made it work because I was trying all kinds of things.  The following is the most likely remedy, but again I am not 100% sure.

I erased the Homegroup on both computers, created a Homegroup on the Windows 8 machine, joined the Windows 7 box to the home group.  Everything worked as expected.

I should point out that I was not trying deal with the Homegroup.  I just wanted to access the shared folders of the Windows 7 PC from the new Windows 8 PC.

Puzzling!

Hong

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:41 PM

All replies

• Took me awhile to figure out why I was unable to join the workgroup but  once I assumed "ownership" of my system, all was well.

Have a look at    http://tinyurl.com/b6ywku9

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Glenn_OCZ Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.  Could you offer just a little bit details on "my system"?  I am sure what you meant by that.  I looked at the referred page. 

Hong

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:39 PM
  • It is working now.  

Unfortunately I am unable to be 100% sure what I did has made it work because I was trying all kinds of things.  The following is the most likely remedy, but again I am not 100% sure.

I erased the Homegroup on both computers, created a Homegroup on the Windows 8 machine, joined the Windows 7 box to the home group.  Everything worked as expected.

I should point out that I was not trying deal with the Homegroup.  I just wanted to access the shared folders of the Windows 7 PC from the new Windows 8 PC.

Puzzling!

Hong

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:41 PM