none
Application Installation Problem

Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to deploy the AutoDesk DWG TrueView 2018 software via MDT as part of a task sequence. The instructions from AutoDesk's website state that the following command needs to be run to perform a silent install - Setup.exe /qb /i /language en-us.

The issue I'm having is that the software successfully installs. However, MDT doesn't recognize this and just displays a message advising that the software is being installed.

I've checked the log files and I can see that the heartbeat is command has been continually running since the initial installation was commenced (see below for an example).

<![LOG[        Run Command: \server\DeploymentShare$\Tools\X64\bddrun.exe Setup.exe /qb /i /language en-us]LOG]!><time="15:52:44.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[ZTI installing application ]LOG]!><time="15:52:44.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[Event 41031 sent: ZTI installing application ]LOG]!><time="15:52:45.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[About to run command: \\server\DeploymentShare$\Tools\X64\bddrun.exe Setup.exe /qb /i /language en-us]LOG]!><time="15:52:45.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[Command has been started (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="15:52:45.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 0 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="15:52:46.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[Event 41003 sent: ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 0 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="15:52:46.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 5 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="15:57:00.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[Event 41003 sent: ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 5 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="15:57:00.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 10 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="16:02:00.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">
    <![LOG[Event 41003 sent: ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 10 minutes (process ID 7444)]LOG]!><time="16:02:00.000+000" date="08-09-2018" component="ZTIApplications" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIApplications">

What I've found when reviewing the log file for the installation of the software is that it installs the 2008 SP1 C++ redistributables along with a specific version of DirectX prior to installation the actual software. I've tried installing these prerequisites manually but I encounter the same issue in MDT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:14 PM

All replies

• Have you tested the silent command you provided above to ensure that it is in the correct format?  Also, did you reboot after installing the prerequisites?

LawsonT

Thursday, August 9, 2018 2:32 PM
  • I remember running into issues with this particular package during a customer engagement. We ended up using Johan Arwidmarks app install VBS wrapper. We also ran into pending reboot issue with the package as well.

Here is the command line we used: 

/q /w /i setup.ini

Here is the VBS wrapper I used to track installation's Progress:

<job id="Install-MicrosoftVisualC2017x86x64">
    <script language="VBScript" src="..\..\scripts\ZTIUtility.vbs"/>
    <script language="VBScript"> 

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '// Purpose: Used to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Package
    '// Usage: cscript Install-MicrosoftVisualC2017x86x64.wsf [/debug:true]
    '//
    '// This script is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, confers no rights and 
    '// is not supported by the authors or Deployment Artist. 
    '//

'// Global constant and variable declarations

Option Explicit 
    Dim iRetVal 

'// End declarations

'// Main routine

On Error Resume Next
    iRetVal = ZTIProcess
    ProcessResults iRetVal
    On Error Goto 0 

'//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '//
    '// Function: ZTIProcess()
    '//
    '// Input: None
    '// 
    '// Return: Success - 0
    '// Failure - non-zero
    '//
    '// Purpose: Perform main ZTI processing
    '// 
    '//---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Function ZTIProcess() 

Dim sSetupFilex86
    	Dim sSetupFilex64
    	Dim sArguments

sSetupFilex86 = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\Source\VC_redist.x86.exe"
    	sSetupFilex64 = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\Source\VC_redist.x64.exe"
    	sArguments = "/Q"

oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": Starting installation", LogTypeInfo

If not oFSO.FileExists(sSetupFilex86) then
    		oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": " & sSetupFilex86 & " was not found, unable to install", LogTypeError
    		ZTIProcess = Failure
    		Exit Function
    	End if

iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("""" & sSetupFilex86 & """ " & sArguments)

if (iRetVal = 0) or (iRetVal = 3010) then
    		ZTIProcess = Success 
    	Else 
    		ZTIProcess = Failure
    	End If

oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": Return code from command = " & iRetVal, LogTypeInfo
    	oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": Finished installation", LogTypeInfo

' If x64 operating system, also install x64 version	
    	If oEnvironment.Item("Architecture") = "X64" then

If not oFSO.FileExists(sSetupFilex64) then
    			oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": " & sSetupFilex64 & " was not found, unable to install", LogTypeError
    			ZTIProcess = Failure
    			Exit Function
    		End If

iRetVal = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat("""" & sSetupFilex64 & """ " & sArguments)

If (iRetVal = 0) or (iRetVal = 3010) then
    			ZTIProcess = Success 
    		Else 
    			ZTIProcess = Failure
    		End If

oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": Return code from command = " & iRetVal, LogTypeInfo
    		oLogging.CreateEntry oUtility.ScriptName & ": Finished installation", LogTypeInfo

End If

End Function 

</script>
    </job>

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, August 13, 2018 11:51 AM
  • Hi Anton,

I still can't get this application to install unfortunately.

Below is what I've tried:

• Deployed Windows 10 1803 x64 to a test virtual machine
    • Installed C++ redistributables manually along with Direct X 9
    • Created separate task sequence to test installation of TrueView 2018
    • Executed litetouch.vbs on test VM and deployed TrueView 2018

TrueView successfully installs but MDT is still awaiting for it to complete the installation. The logs for TrueView show that the installation is successful and that code 0 has been returned.

Perhaps it's an issue with version 1803 of Windows 10?

• Edited by WhiteWolf23 Tuesday, August 14, 2018 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Shaun2383 and WhiteWolf23,

I downloaded TrueView 2019 and used MDT to install it on an 1803 x64 computer.

I did not have any of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed in my OS.  I created an application in MDT to install TrueView, importing the source TrueView source media to MDT App folder.  I used Setup.exe /qb /i /w /norestart as the command line.  TrueView 2019 is installed.  I see MS Visual C++ 2010 x86, MS Visual C++ 2010 x64, MS Visual C++ 2012 x86, MS Visual C++ 2012 x64, MS Visual C++ 2017 x86, and MS Visual C++ 2017 x64.  All installed.  In the application, I set this app to reboot the computer before moving on. 

I reviewed the ZTIApplications.log file post install and found it started the install at 17:34 and ended at 17:38, so around a 4 minute install.

I just found the 2018 installer and will test tomorrow to see if I can get it to install the same way.

LawsonT

• Proposed as answer by LawsonT Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:40 PM
    • Edited by LawsonT Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Hi LawsonT,

I tried installing TrueView 2019 using Setup.exe /qb /i /language en-us which resulted in the same issue. I then tried installing the software using the same commands you did - Setup.exe /qb /i /w /norestart  which worked!

My question is where did you refer to for the required commands to perform a silent install?as  the commands I originally was using were taken directly from the vendor's website.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:18 AM
  • Shaun2383,

I researched this a while back when a coworker was having a similar issue.  It appears that it is passing some parameters to the MSI in the whole installation.  We noticed that one of the MSIs wasnt responding like it was hidden and waiting for someone to acknowledge it was finished.  I put the /norestart on there and it started working.

I also found some vague reference to this on their support but cant find it now.  I think you only need /language <lang-code> when changing the language.  I think it defaults to en-us.

LawsonT

• Edited by LawsonT Wednesday, August 15, 2018 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 1:11 PM