none
Work Folders Failed to Update the current state of an item RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a local machine that keeps erroring out with a work folder fail. It says it is unable to update the current state of an item.  A hard link was detected and won't be synced. The file in question is no longer on the computer. The department that runs the server is saying the issue is on the local machine. I have checked other computers where the user is located and removed the extra profiles off of those computers. I have also restarted the work folder service using the services.msc and the issue still persists.

The specific error I am seeing in the event logs is this:

Work Folders failed to update the current state of an item. Item: \??\C:\Users\Chris_walker\Work Folders\Desktop\NuQuest\Kenneth Neal RE-06-0500289\Benefit Printout.pdf; Sync ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; Update action: Open; Error code: (0x80c80202) A hard link was detected and won't be synced.

The file doesn't even exists on the computer and the guys that run the server said that the computer hasn't synced since 2/2018.

Any ideas?

Friday, August 31, 2018 4:35 PM

All replies

• To resolve this issue, delete the hard links that are located in your Work Folders sync directory on the client machine. Use the Work Folders operational event log and search for Event ID 2113 to determine where the hard links are located. The logs are located under Microsoft-Windows-SyncShare in Event Viewer.

Example ID 2113 Event:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-WorkFolders/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WorkFolders
    Date:          1/2/2018 9:33:04 PM
    Event ID:      2113
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    Work Folders failed to update the current state of an item. Item: \??\C:\Users\jeff\Work Folders\Profile\Start Menu\Programs\Source Contol Management Team\Show Source Depot Change.appref-ms; Sync ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; Update action: Open; Error code: (0x80c80202) A hard link was detected and won't be synced.

You can also use the following command from an elevated command prompt to find the hard links in the Work Folders sync directory: dir /AL /S "C:\Users\Chris_walker\Work Folders"

Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:43 PM