none
Windows 8.1 install from USB with multiple swm files license terms error

Question

• Deploying a Windows 8.1 Enterprise image on Dell Venue 11 (5130 atom version)

Created an UEFI FAT32 USB drive (http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US)

I replaced sources\install.wim with a customized Windows 8.1 image.

The customized image is 4,6GB large so i had to split it into 2 .swm files because of the FAT32 4GB limitation.

Setup is starting and when i want to install, the following error occured and i have to cancel the installation.

"Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms.  Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation"

is there a file which points to the license terms that i can modify or something like that??

• Edited by MartinOtter Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Turns out UEFI will boot with an NTFS formatted USB drive after all.

So no need to split the wim file.

Still curious though

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:50 PM
  • I replaced sources\install.wim with a customized Windows 8 image.

Hi,

Why did you replace the install.wim with Windows 8 image? It's not compatible with Windows 8.1. Please customize another Windows 8.1 wim and reinstall again.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:51 AM
  • Typo!!

Sorry for this. I meant a customized Windows 8.1 image. (x86).

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hi MartinOtter,

Windows 8 and 8.1 Setup does not support split .wim files, so this might have been the original problem. The TechNet article "Split a Windows Image (.swm) File to Span Across Multiple DVDs" has this note:

In Windows 8.1 and Windows 8, Windows Setup does not support installing a split .wim file.

And later it states:

You can apply the file to your destination computers only by using the /Apply-Image option in the DISM tool.

If you are still having issues with this deployment while using a .wim that isn't split, can you check the log files?

Hope this helps,

David
    Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:41 PM
  • Thanks for the update. As I said, the UEFI with NTFS boot eventually did work.

The Dell guide stated that this wouldnt work.

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:31 AM
  • Windows Setup will support split wims if you add the correct \sources\ei.cfg file.

I have tested this and it has been independently verified.

Monday, May 19, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Steve, please tell me what am I doing wrong?

This is  what I am doing step by step:

1) using dism I split .wim on two separate .swm (first one is limited to 3.7 GB)

2) all files (without install.wim) from bootable DVD I am coping to USB Flash

3) to sources on USB Flash I'm moving install.swm which I create before

4) also, I create ei.cfg file with content:

[EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

5) second .swm (install2.swm) is copied to second USB Flash to sources directory

Friday, September 11, 2015 11:46 AM