Renewing Certificates RRS feed

• Question

• I need to renew my external Edge certificate. When is the best time of the day to do it? During prime time when less users are likely connecting in via remote locations, however there could be numerous meetings going on? or During the evening?

I'm just trying to determine any possible outages that could occur for my users when I re-assign that certificate. Will already progressing meetings give an error?

It doesn't matter the time of day, I am always seeing active connections so unsure when would be the less impact timeframe.

Suggestions?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:05 PM

Answers

• I'd pick a non-peak time. But you can basically Request and Assign the certificates and then when you're ready, issue a Stop-CsWindowsService and Start-CsWindowsService to restart the Lync services (at which point the new certificates will take effect)

Active meetings will be reset at that point, so do that when noone (preferably is using Edge).

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | Lync MVP
    Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Mai AliMVP Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by SandraNanke Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:11 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:09 AM
  • You can request a new certificate first.

The certificate is replaced when you assign the new certificate. You can assign the new certificate at night.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by SandraNanke Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:12 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:37 AM

All replies

• I'd pick a non-peak time. But you can basically Request and Assign the certificates and then when you're ready, issue a Stop-CsWindowsService and Start-CsWindowsService to restart the Lync services (at which point the new certificates will take effect)

Active meetings will be reset at that point, so do that when noone (preferably is using Edge).

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | Lync MVP
    Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Mai AliMVP Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by SandraNanke Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:11 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:09 AM
  • Agree with Georg, request the certificate during the day so it's ready for you to swap out at night.  If you request at night it might not be approved by your vendor until the next day unless it's a fully automated process. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

• Proposed as answer by Mai AliMVP Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:34 AM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:16 AM
  • You can request a new certificate first.

The certificate is replaced when you assign the new certificate. You can assign the new certificate at night.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by SandraNanke Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:12 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:37 AM