CBB Upgrade to Windows 10 1511 in WSUS available? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear forums,

since 1511 is available as CBB since a few months now: Is there a way to perform an upgrade to Windows 10 1511 in WSUS directly to the new CBB version that already has included the previous cumulative updates?

I've searched my WSUS (2012) for upgrades and while there are several to 1511, I cannot find any indication whether one of them is the CBB one. When going to VLSC, I can download the CBB version of 1511 which included the previous updates.

Then one additional question: WSUS shows to different versions for feature upgrades of Windows 10: Volume and Retail. Is Retail intended for PCs that came preinstalled with Windows 10 and Volume for devices that have been installed with a volume license copy?

BR
    Michael

Monday, September 12, 2016 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hi sam.bell

> Is there a way to perform an upgrade to Windows 10 1511 in WSUS directly to the new CBB version that already has included the previous cumulative updates?

I checked it in my lab, there are two main upgrade to 1511, "Upgrade to windows 10...", and "windows 7 and windows 8.1 upgrade to windows 10...". When I approve upgrade of "windows 7 and windows 8.1..", it shows the upgrade has been expired. When I approve "Upgrade to windows 10...", the upgrade file shows it is released on May 25, 2016.

As far as I'm concerned, "Upgrade to window 10..." is the CBB with cumulative updates, you may approve related upgrade.

"For devices being serviced using Windows Server Updates Services, the updates to the existing Windows 10 1511 feature updates will need to be re-approved once the new updated media is received (unless you have an automatic
    update rule configured for the “Upgrades” category)."

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/04/08/windows-10-1511-is-now-a-current-branch-for-business-cbb-release/

>WSUS shows to different versions for feature upgrades of Windows 10: Volume and Retail. Is Retail intended for PCs that came preinstalled with Windows 10 and Volume for devices that have been installed with a volume license copy?

Retail and Volume is the License type.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by sam.bell Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi sam.bell

> Is there a way to perform an upgrade to Windows 10 1511 in WSUS directly to the new CBB version that already has included the previous cumulative updates?

I checked it in my lab, there are two main upgrade to 1511, "Upgrade to windows 10...", and "windows 7 and windows 8.1 upgrade to windows 10...". When I approve upgrade of "windows 7 and windows 8.1..", it shows the upgrade has been expired. When I approve "Upgrade to windows 10...", the upgrade file shows it is released on May 25, 2016.

As far as I'm concerned, "Upgrade to window 10..." is the CBB with cumulative updates, you may approve related upgrade.

"For devices being serviced using Windows Server Updates Services, the updates to the existing Windows 10 1511 feature updates will need to be re-approved once the new updated media is received (unless you have an automatic
    update rule configured for the “Upgrades” category)."

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/04/08/windows-10-1511-is-now-a-current-branch-for-business-cbb-release/

>WSUS shows to different versions for feature upgrades of Windows 10: Volume and Retail. Is Retail intended for PCs that came preinstalled with Windows 10 and Volume for devices that have been installed with a volume license copy?

Retail and Volume is the License type.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by sam.bell Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Dear Anne,

thanks for your help. It indeed seems that is the updated media. I also found out that the corresponding upgrade was re-released May (due to a newer revision). So I guess it's been updated and the CBB version will be deployed when it is approved:

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi sam.bell,

You are welcome :)

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:55 AM