none
IE10 , W2008R2, Roaming Profiles -> still an issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It seems that Microsoft lost focus on a large group of people using W2008R2 still awaiting for a solution
    to implement IE10/IE11 in their Enterprise environment.

In short:
    - Internet Explorer 10 cookies and roaming profiles or not working on W2008R2
    - (hot)fixes have been provided, working for some systems but not for W2008R2

All you can read, including tests from people, also saying that it's not working, on this page.
    "Internet Explorer 10 cookies and roaming profiles (WebCache directory)" here in the forum

Question:
    - Any idea if this still is under Investigations?
    - when can customers expect to be able to migrate to IE10/IE11 and get a working combination W2008R2 with IE10

Friday, October 3, 2014 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried this update to fix your issue?

Persistent cookies are not roamed in Internet Explorer 10 or Internet Explorer 11

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2955387

Or you can try this workaround:

The workaround to make cookies work is to set a Group Policy Preference to set the following registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Local AppData

to point to a user folder on a file server, possibly a subfolder of the one where you already redirect the AppData(Roaming) to. The folder you specify will be created when the user logs on.

Note that the initial size for the WebCacheV01.dat file is about 33MB, so if you have a lot of users you might want to monitor the space usage on your file server more closely for a while after making the above change.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:50 AM
  • Thx for the reply,
    yes i have installed IE10, with all (windows/automatic)updates.

To be sure i downloaded the kb2955387

But the system says, not needed already installed.
    So my point is, and not only mine, but from many other people.

This kb2955387 is not working on a W2008R2/IE10
    many other users/companies, can reproduce it on several systems, can't Microsoft reproduce this?and confirm that it is still an issue that need a fix.

So that is why i opened this post.
    and sorry to say, but the work arround is not pratical offcoarse, and not wanted/accepted in Enterprise environments.

Awaiting your answer, and again thanks for the help!Kind Regards

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Thx for the reply,
    yes i have installed IE10, with all (windows/automatic)updates.

To be sure i downloaded the kb2955387

But the system says, not needed already installed.
    So my point is, and not only mine, but from many other people.

This kb2955387 is not working on a W2008R2/IE10
    many other users/companies, can reproduce it on several systems, can't Microsoft reproduce this?and confirm that it is still an issue that need a fix.

So that is why i opened this post.
    and sorry to say, but the work arround is not pratical offcoarse, and not wanted/accepted in Enterprise environments.

Awaiting your answer, and again thanks for the help!Kind Regards

I think this PC is required to install on the client PC, not the server side.

Please deploy this update on the client PCs to check the issue.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:12 AM
  • We use the W2008R2 servers as client -> Terminalserver/Citrix Server

So in this case the server is also the client, and has installed the updates.

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:47 AM
  •  server is also the client, and has installed the updates.

I notice that there may be a difference between what the fix promises versus what may be expected, by the word "persistent".  Can persistent Cookies be in the Low folder?  As a test of the fix could you have some in the upper Cookies and then see if that gets saved?  Another aspect of "persistence" may be whether the Cookies are associated with Favorites (e.g. whatever effect leaving the top checkbox checked in the Delete Browsing History (Ctrl-Shift-Delete) dialog has.)  Are those being used in your examples and do they get saved?  Otherwise, I'm not sure but I think one way to make Cookies go into the high folder is to change the zone from Internet to Trusted or maybe Intranet.  So, that might be another factor worth checking to test whatever the fix does.

Do we know what modules were patched?  I can't see a File Information section in the KB article that is being cited.  Then two things I would check is whether there is a difference in functionality in GDR versus LDR versions and whether there is a registry "switch" needed to enable it.  Often there is with such things and then it is only the customers who were involved in the actual hotfix which is being updated and distributed that way who may be aware of the need to use it.  One way to check is to trace both cases with ProcMon, looking for RegQueryValue events for such clues.  I imagine that you probably have been using ProcMon to check on whether Cookies are being saved at all?   ; )

Finally, I am wondering if there might be a mix of symptoms from totally different problems.  For example, from the other thread it sounds as if it is necessary to have the IE sessions completely terminated for saving profile data?  But there are already known instances of the main iexplore.exe (aka the "chrome" task) being left hanging around long after its window has been removed from the Desktop.  Would something like that be negating the intended effect of the fix?  Has it been checked for?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:33 AM
    Answerer
  • Thx Robert for this broad reply.
    MS is very silent/quiet on this issue...gives me the idea they have no idea how to solve this, and that despite that the IE software developers themself have choosen to change the program code in IE10/IE11 to save cookie data in the appdata local folder instead of the appdate roaming folder. And worse, that new files(database) is being file-locked the whole time. Some anwers on your reply Robert, see this article.
    http://vthoughtsofit.blogspot.nl/2014/04/internet-explorer-10-webcache-file.html

That is exact how i test also, with the site www.nu.nl to see if cookies are stored/working.

Kind regards, and again thanks for make this topic a little more active.
    Hope MS engineers notice this topic again.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Still no answer from MS? Come on....

recar

Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:50 PM
  • I opened a case with Microsoft.  Here is my scenario:

Citrix VDI

Non-persistent desktops on Windows 7 x64 and Internet Explorer 10.  We are NOT using Roaming Profiles.

We validated that all of the required patches are installed for Windows and IE.  We could not get IE to change its cookie behavior.  IE continues to use the locked WebCacheV01.dat file to store cookie information.  There is NO change to the behavior of IE, even if we enable "Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles" policy.

Per the MS engineer, their final word was that you MUST be using roaming profiles for the fix to work, however, I believe that this is a BS answer because not one person at MS could actually tell me HOW the fix was supposed to change the IE cookie behavior.  I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Microsoft here, mostly because there is zero technical information about the supposed hotfix, where it's supposed to work, and how.

Just give me a fix that allows IE to revert to "legacy" cookie behavior...

• Proposed as answer by tmassa99 Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tmassa99 Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:21 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 3:24 PM
  • You're kidding, right?  There is no update that "fixes" anything.  Installing a patch changes nothing about cookie behavior.  Something else has to be done in conjunction with the fix, but there is not documentation for that.  WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK...specifics:  OS, Roaming Profiles, files, reg keys...something else other than "TRY THIS UPDATE".

You can do better.

Saturday, November 1, 2014 3:31 PM
  • [Working "Solution" for those NOT using MS roaming profiles]

http://www.rorydeleur.nl/2014/10/microsoft-wont-give-me-my-cookies/

WebCacheV01.dat is locked by "TASKHOST.exe", specifically, the "\Microsoft\Windows\Wininet\CacheTask" task.

Stopping this task, and copying the WebCache and Cookies folders to/from user profile folders will allow for cookie persistence across user sessions.

The Microsoft tech I spoke with indicated that the "hotfix" (change in Cookie behavior) only works under the following condition (all must be true):

1. Hotfix Installed
    2. Microsoft Roaming Profiles
    3. Enable GPO for "Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles"

Otherwise, the only option is to use the symlink "solution" to redirect the WebCache folder or the one above that copies WebCacheV01.dat and Cookies.  I hope this helps others until Microsoft actually fixes this problem.

• Proposed as answer by tmassa99 Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:30 AM
  • So MS does not intend to fix what they broke?
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Hi all,

I know there is still a massive issue around this and there still has been no fix, have a look at this James Rankin blog and the video link which shows an example of the software James refers to and it's implementation, it's with AppSense, however, as James mentions, it is independent of any profile solution.

http://bit.ly/2kNgw5Q

https://youtu.be/ORiUzmtR-ds

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:58 PM