I have a list and have 2 views

View1--Users have Read & Edit Permissions

View2--Users have only read permissions

How we can do this?

Thanks

Like Cricket

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:10 AM

Answers

• Audiences can be used to show/hide content for a configured group of people. An audience could be a SharePoint Group or defined by an administrator in more detail, for example to include all users in a department.

The thing to keep in mind for audiences is that it only shows/hides the content on the page or area where the audience is applied, it does not secure the content itself. So you could apply an audience to a web part and it would show/hide only for particular group of users, but those users could still search and find that content.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263065(v=office.14).aspx

Please remember to mark your question as answered if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Unfortunately SP does not provides view level permission so for your need, you can create two custom group and provide read access to one group and contribute access to second group.

Now add user in respective group and authorize both groups to access that list via list permission. Once you done this you will notice that group 1 user can view only item and group 2 users can view and edit the items in list.

Let us know if you have any doubt

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Views can be either public or private.  You can't secure them based on specific permissions.  Even users with read only permissions to the data can create their own personal views of the data.  But the permissions on the content are based on users permissions, not on permissions at the view level.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:35 AM
  • A more secure approach would be to separate your content into separate lists so you can manage permissions at the list level. Perhaps item level permissions would work as well, but would be a pain to manage.

I found a product that provides allows you to set permissions on columns and list views. It looks pretty neat. I have a client that used something similar (I can't remember if it was this product or not). 

http://www.boostsolutions.com/columnpermission.html

Just keep in mind that it doesn't actually secure the content itself. Users could still find the content through search or other means.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:41 PM
  • I thought of using target audience earlier itself, but I am clear about that.

Can somebody what target audience will do ?they inherit permissions from parent site/site...can we break inheritance of them?

Like Cricket

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Audiences can be used to show/hide content for a configured group of people. An audience could be a SharePoint Group or defined by an administrator in more detail, for example to include all users in a department.

The thing to keep in mind for audiences is that it only shows/hides the content on the page or area where the audience is applied, it does not secure the content itself. So you could apply an audience to a web part and it would show/hide only for particular group of users, but those users could still search and find that content.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263065(v=office.14).aspx

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:23 PM