Conexant Driver: Music output fluctuating with bass notes RRS feed

• Question

• i have a Compaq Presario V6608AU notebook. OS is Vista home basic with Conexant Audio driver.

The problem is that no matter what the music player - if I set the bass at med-high, then whenever there is a bass beat, rest of the volume goes down & once the beat is over, rest of the volume comes up again.

Overall the performance is like  --  High, low, High, low, High, low..........

HP guys in my city are not responding to the issue saying that sound issue is not recognized in company policy. They said the problem might be elsewhere.

What could be the issue?......How do I solve it?

Its hardly 10 days since I bought the notebook.

Someone please help me!
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I made a research on the situation you described. Based on that, I think the problem is very possibly caused by the configuration of audio channels. You can try steps below to check it.

1.      Right-click the volume control icon in the taskbar.

2.      Select Playback Devices.

3.      Select the default device.

4.      Click Configure.

If the audio channels is set to be Stereo, bass effect won’t be active and performed. In such case, you may feel volume loss when player tries to play bass effect. If you have other choices of audio channels, select improved ones (Quadraphonic, 5.1 Surround e.g.), click next until finishing the configuration.

I’m not quite sure whether it’s the problem you encountered, if I misunderstand anything, just let me know.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 2, 2007 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I made a research on the situation you described. Based on that, I think the problem is very possibly caused by the configuration of audio channels. You can try steps below to check it.

1.      Right-click the volume control icon in the taskbar.

2.      Select Playback Devices.

3.      Select the default device.

4.      Click Configure.

If the audio channels is set to be Stereo, bass effect won’t be active and performed. In such case, you may feel volume loss when player tries to play bass effect. If you have other choices of audio channels, select improved ones (Quadraphonic, 5.1 Surround e.g.), click next until finishing the configuration.

I’m not quite sure whether it’s the problem you encountered, if I misunderstand anything, just let me know.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 2, 2007 8:53 AM
  • Hello,

I started experiencing a similar issue a few days ago.  It's the same as described above: the volume goes High, low, high, low, high.... depending on the amount of bass playing.  I however don't have that same card, I have a SOUNDMAX HD audio card.  (I use Vista 64)  I tried many things such as changing my speaker configuration back and forth, disabling and enabling sound card and features... The only thing that seems to work is to completely uninstall my driver and then re-install it.  This I find is a real pain to do.  It's less noticeable in games because of their range of sounds but it gives you headaches if listening to music.  I'm not saying it's Vista's problem because it could be the driver's but it works fine in Windows XP.  If I find a solution, I will try and post back here.  Oh and I'm using the latest official driver (WHQL).

Peace.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 7:24 AM