Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• After running a pc on Windows10pro with Bitlocker, I have replaced the pc. The new pc came with Windows10 preloaded. I upgraded to 10pro and then ran Bitlocker - full disk encryption, which took more than 24 hours to complete.   Settings page, through control panel now shows "Bitlocker enabled" but I have not been asked to input a password. I use Windows "Hello" with face recognition. Should I also have a Bitlocker Password? If I should have one, how do I set it up? Thank you.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi revianb,

How did you configure Bitlocker(password, startup key or PIN)? Have you enabled Bitlocker on system partition?

If you have enabled Bitlocker on system partition, we should get an UI to input the password when we boot the machine after device logo.

For Windows Hello, we should unlock the Bitlocker then the system will boot to Windows Logon UI. Windows Hello should take effect during that time.

If you have enabled Bitlocker on the data partition, we will get the input password UI when we try to access that partition for the first time.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by revianb Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:53 AM
  • @MeipoXu

Not quite. The default is not to ask for a password/PIN. So a TPM is in use.

@revianb

You don't need to do anything unless your need for security is really high. Then, configure a PIN. Right click your c: drive and select "change how the drive is unlocked at startup".

• Marked as answer by revianb Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi revianb,

How did you configure Bitlocker(password, startup key or PIN)? Have you enabled Bitlocker on system partition?

If you have enabled Bitlocker on system partition, we should get an UI to input the password when we boot the machine after device logo.

For Windows Hello, we should unlock the Bitlocker then the system will boot to Windows Logon UI. Windows Hello should take effect during that time.

If you have enabled Bitlocker on the data partition, we will get the input password UI when we try to access that partition for the first time.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by revianb Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:53 AM
  • @MeipoXu

Not quite. The default is not to ask for a password/PIN. So a TPM is in use.

@revianb

You don't need to do anything unless your need for security is really high. Then, configure a PIN. Right click your c: drive and select "change how the drive is unlocked at startup".

• Marked as answer by revianb Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:32 PM