none
Project Professional 2013 Resource leveling issue RRS feed

• Question

• Since SP1, project crashes during resource leveling. i have workaround but i prefer that it will work. do you have any suggestions? i'm not working with project server. 

• Edited by OsnatBerlin Monday, January 18, 2016 10:05 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 10:04 AM

All replies

• This happens with every file?

Does it happen with a file which has just two tasks and just one over-allocated resource, and just the standard calendar as the project calendar and the resource calendar?

Do you use resource, leveling options, level all? With which set of options?

Monday, January 18, 2016 11:49 AM
  • I have tried your suggestion and it doesn't crash, thanks for your suggestion.

My use case is different.  

I am using single resource file connected to all files - i'm sharing resources.

yes, i'm using "level all" and then it crash - if i am using level selection --> level resources it won't crash (but i don't like it). 

My set of options are: Hour by hour, clear leveling, level entire project - level can create splits in remaining work. 

Thanks 

Monday, January 18, 2016 2:35 PM
  • How many files share the resources?

Have you tried leveling options with all options unchecked? And/or Day by Day?

And level all from the leveling options box, not the level all button on the ribbon?

It is possible, although very difficult and very unlikely, to have so many files and tasks sharing the pool, and so many resources and so much over-allocation, that the calculation just defeats the MSP leveling engine. It is also necessary to have a well structured CPM network, which means especially no resources assigned to summaries and no date constraints, or absolute minimum. I can't see your files so I can't say.

Is it a crash ie MSP shuts down?

Or, I am guessing it goes into "Not Responding".

Leveling calculations take time.

I have found that it sometimes appears to be not responding but if left alone will finish the calculation.

Monday, January 18, 2016 11:49 PM
  • I have 5 projects sharing the same resources. i have to say that it is working with Project 2010 and it has worked on 2013, but since SP1 was updated, it started shutting down. 

It won't happen if i will level some resources. 

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:59 AM
  • If you have a resource pool with linked files, then the answer is likely file corruption. Anyone over writing, moving or renaming any linked file rolls the file corruption dice. Its when not if. If any of the files is stored on a physical disk drive that isn't in the same building as you then network glitches can also corrupt a file.

I would change all files to use own resources then delete the resource pool.

Then instead, weekly inert all projects into a new, bank project with the link option off. This copies all data and shows consolidated resource data.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Rod, can you please explain "link option off"?

Do you know if my issue is a known one? it won't happen with 2010 or 2013 without SP1 update --> that is why i don't believe it is related to :writing, moving or renaming any linked file rolls the file corruption dice etc. 

Thanks 

• Edited by OsnatBerlin Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:31 PM
  • OK, apparently there is a problem with resource levelling introduced by the October 2015 update. A fix is on the way, no delivery date as yet.

I've heard it's related to Finish No Later Than constraints. These are easy to remove and in any case I do not recommend them at all.

If you have a key delivery date then set a Deadline date for it, not a constraint(Advanced tab of Task Information form). You want delivery milestones to push out if they can't be achieved on time, otherwise many users will still see delivery date on time and not understand what negative slack means.

When a milestone pushes past a deadline date, you get a red diamond in the indicator column and the task becomes critical if it wasn't already. That's an automatic exception report for time!

When inserting one project into another, there is a link to project option in the Insert project form. Deselect it to copy project data rather than link it. Much safer.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:09 PM

•  I don't have any constraint type other than ASAP / SNET

i have 2 projects connected to each other - which i would like to see links between projects and to view the dependencies.

+ i am using one project (with resources only) to used as my resource pool - which is connected to all of my projects (through: Resource --> Resource Pool)

All the above is working well with project 2010 and 2013 missing SP1. 

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same situation: Project crashes, while leveling some of the resources. There are contsraints used, but no "Finish no later than". What does work in my case: Open pool file and select the third option, to get all projects inserted in a temporary master project. I can level there without any issues. Afterwards, I close this temporay file without saving, but select save for all inserted projects. Perhaps it does also work for you and can be a workaround until issue is fixed.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:19 AM