locked
Cannot connect to Configuration Database after Moving Databases to New SQL Server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I currently have WSS 3.0 (Server 2008) installed on a stand-alone WFE with databases on a separate SQL Server (SQL 2005).  We need to move all the DBs over to a new server with a different name, but also SQL 2005.  I have followed the steps in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512723(v=office.12).aspx#Section1, but after completing the steps, I'm unable to browse CA or any of the sites.  All I get is the "Cannot connect to configuration database." message.  I tried removing the alias and pointing back to the old SQL server, but I got the same errors.  The only error on the SharePoint server is:  

    Unknown SQL Exception -2146893019 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

    I tried disconnecting from the farm, since that was my only option in the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, but now I'm unable to re-connect to the same farm due to the same error above.

    Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for the offer scogordo.  I was able to solve my issue with the help of a tech from Microsoft.  It turned out that at some point the 'Force Protocol Encryption' checkbox in the cliconfig utility on my SharePoint FE had been checked.  Even after the alias was removed, the setting was still causing the error I originally posted above.  Once I unchecked the box, I was able to connect to the SQL server and reconnect my FE to the farm.  
    • Proposed as answer by Rashu,Rahul Monday, March 26, 2012 6:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by rpinkus Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:08 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

  • With my farm (2WFEs, 1Index, 1SQL), when I tried moving my DBs with the alias, one of my WFEs connected properly but the other did not. I think it was some DLL that was inconsistent between the servers. It was a weird one. Don't know if it'll help you, but I'll try and see if I have the notes.

    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for the offer scogordo.  I was able to solve my issue with the help of a tech from Microsoft.  It turned out that at some point the 'Force Protocol Encryption' checkbox in the cliconfig utility on my SharePoint FE had been checked.  Even after the alias was removed, the setting was still causing the error I originally posted above.  Once I unchecked the box, I was able to connect to the SQL server and reconnect my FE to the farm.  
    • Proposed as answer by Rashu,Rahul Monday, March 26, 2012 6:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by rpinkus Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:08 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 4:42 PM