Validity Sensor fingerprint sensor "not found" by UPEK Protector Suite 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate.   Validy Sensor is recognized by Device Manager and no yellow !.     Worked well in XP but Windows 7, the Omnipass software doesn't support so I tried UPEK Protector Suite 2009.   UPEK looks good but I get a message:  "cannot find fingerprint sensor device" when I click to enroll a finger.

Hardware ID of sensor is:   USB/VID_138A&PID_0001&REV_0351

Computer is General Dynamics Itronix XR-1 with built in fingerprint scanner.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• Update:  I have the fingerprint scanner working well now on the Itronix XR-1 with Windows 7 and the Validity sensor.   I went to the Softex website and downloaded the recently released software (both 32 and 64 bit versions) the 32 bit omnipass software (setup.exe) and fingerprint enrollment plug in (fpinstaller.exe) found at:
    http://www.softexinc.com/trial.asp
    It appears the software is relatively inexpensive so I'll buy the product and also add it to our mix of security products (nha.com).   Thanks again to all who made such good efforts to help.
    --Norman

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, November 2, 2009 3:32 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Hi nhirsch, I'd like to inform you that as the driver is provided by hardware manufacturer, if there is no available driver for Windows 7, the fingerprint sensor may not work properly. I suggest you first check if there is a latest driver on Windows Update and the hardware manufacturer website. Please note: the driver on Windows Update is not directly produced by Microsoft, if there is no such driver on Windows Update, we may need to contact with the hardware manufacturer and see if a compatible driver for Windows 7 is available. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi nhirsch, I'd like to inform you that as the driver is provided by hardware manufacturer, if there is no available driver for Windows 7, the fingerprint sensor may not work properly. I suggest you first check if there is a latest driver on Windows Update and the hardware manufacturer website. Please note: the driver on Windows Update is not directly produced by Microsoft, if there is no such driver on Windows Update, we may need to contact with the hardware manufacturer and see if a compatible driver for Windows 7 is available. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:06 AM
  • UPEK makes its own modules to work with its software.  The Protector Suite is a WONDERFUL application.  You would need a device like the one in my picture, to work with Protector Suite, as well, you can use any other UPEK module sensor, the Eikon, so forth. Zvetco offers the P4500 and the P5000 that utilize the UPEK module.  Also, Protector Suite, is not a time based eval. It is a feature restricted version, that DOES support WinLogon. 

Hope this helps...

Robert Stramondo * Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics .com * SERVER: Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Unmarked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, November 2, 2009 3:32 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Hi nhirsch,

The problem obvious that your application vendor, Omnipass, doesn't release or doesn't support Windows7.  The device driver is ready.

You've 2 choice -
    1. Push your computer vendor, Itronix, to provide Win7 ready software.
    2. Download WBF supported software (DigitalPersona application + Validity Driver) from Validity web site.

UPEK's Protector Suite 2009 only limit to serve their own sensor, will not apply to Validity sensor.

regards,
    ymhuang 
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Keep in mind that DigitalPersonas products cost money. I guess I should have been more clear in my previous post, stating that the validity sensor wont work. I read back and I say something to the effect of "You would need" a device like the one in my pic to work with Protector Suite, I also listed some sensors that would work. So I wonder how you would misconstrue my post.

Furthermore OMNIPASS does support 7.

www.softexinc.com

Enjoy!

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT *
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Dear "Biometric Engineer",

I didn't reply to your post, and what I post any incorrect suggestion to cause your reaction?

1. The suggestion from you is good, however, end user is using a built-in sensor on their laptop.  To request end user to buy another sensor from UPEK need more cost.

2. The WBF supported software on Validity web site doesn't cost money.  If you ever try, you'll know am I correct.

3. Omnipass do support Win7, but the problem is does Itronix provide it to end user.  That's why I suggest end user to push Itronix.

I believe Zvetco Biometrics is a good partner to push biometric device grow up.  It's good for everyone.  We just need to provide user more information which end user can consider which way is best to them.

regards,
    ymhuang.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:48 AM
  • I hope you dont think I was having any discourse with you over the post. I apologize if so. I believe due to mis-communication on my part, I should have been more clear, and I am learning not to just type so fast but to take my time and create a complete thought, as I would verbally.  I did mean to point out the fact that getting a new device would cost additional moneys, and I confused my statement by saying the software was free but not the sensor. As far as Omnipass supporting Windows 7, this is new, it hasnt for very long supported it.  I thank you for showing the software from Validity, as I plan to test this, and see what it offers. As you may know, at Zvetco, we specifically develop only the hardware, and only partner with software devs to support biometric solutions for end users. We too have extensively tested many many many different sensors in many different configurations with Windows 7, to be able to provide a stable support platform.  You did not post any incorrect manner, and my reply to your post was not meant to offend whatsoever.  It was merely a query.

Have a great day!

:-)
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT *
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Hi:
    First I wanted to thank everyone here for providing their best information and really trying hard to do it in a way that doesn't offend anyone or cost them money.   I really appreciate it.  Biometric Engineer, YMHuang,  and Sean Zhu--"Thank You" and I will also say "Xie Xie"  (my wife is from Shanghai).    I'm relatively new to this forum and did receive e-mail to my msn account and replied to it there but it bounced.   I realize now I have to reply to it in this forum.   What bounced on 10/27 is below.  Meanwhile I'll try to get the drivers from Itronix and also try the software and the WBF drivers suggested.   Yes the scanner is build into the XR-1 so no choice of switching hardware I'm afraid.   Buying new software for it is not out of the question but it would seem logical for Itronix to get the software update from Omnipass since after installing Windows 7, the ONLY thing not working is the fingerprint software.   My only question is to whether the existing driver would be the one to use or would I need to switch to WBF driver.  Maybe someone can tell me the difference and reason there are two?   

Here is the post that bounced 10/27:

Thank you Sean Zhu.

The driver for this sensor appears to be working in Windows 7.   There is no yellow ! sign, the date of the driver is 5/4/2009 signed by "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher".   Provider of the driver is Validity Sensors, Inc.   

It worked well with XP using the Omnipass software but the Omnipass doesn't install for Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Norman

• Marked as answer by nhirsch Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by nhirsch Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:26 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Update:  I have the fingerprint scanner working well now on the Itronix XR-1 with Windows 7 and the Validity sensor.   I went to the Softex website and downloaded the recently released software (both 32 and 64 bit versions) the 32 bit omnipass software (setup.exe) and fingerprint enrollment plug in (fpinstaller.exe) found at:
    http://www.softexinc.com/trial.asp
    It appears the software is relatively inexpensive so I'll buy the product and also add it to our mix of security products (nha.com).   Thanks again to all who made such good efforts to help.
    --Norman

Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:30 PM