none
can NOT attach agent from DPM and command line RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting to migrate to DPM2010 from DPM2007. 

I'm having problem installing DPM2010 protection agent on one of my server running 2008 X64(NON R2). I have removed dpm2007 agent and restart the server. This is what i did:

• login as a domain user with admin privilege, and install DPM agent manually. it's weird that when i double click on the .msi package, installation will not complete successfully. No bin folder was created inside C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\. I have to run the DPMAgentInstaller_x64 file
    • i then run this command line setdpmserver -dpmservername name.domain.com
    • this is the error i'm getting:
    Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[servername.domain.com]
    DPM server name provided is invalid. Make sure that machine provided is fully qualified name and joined in domain.
    SetDpmServer failed with errorcode =0x800706ba, error says: The RPC server is unavailable.
    To further troubleshoot failures with SetDpmServer, go to  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169142

I checked the link abobe, and i could NOT find any UPnP discovery service. All i see is UPnP Device host service. I started it along with 3 others services, DNS Client

Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and it's still not working. 

I tried attaching client from DPM2010 server, it was successful, but when i close the wizard windows, under the agent tab, this error appear:

Protection agent version: 3.0.7696.0

Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 270

The agent operation failed on server1.domain.com because DPM could not communicate with the DPM protection agent. The computer may be protected by another DPM server, or the protection agent may have been uninstalled on the protected computer.

If servername.domain.com is a workgroup server, the password for the DPM user account could have been changed or may have expired.

Recommended action: Check the following to troubleshoot this issue: 

1) If the agent is not installed on server1.domain.com, run DpmAgentInstaller.exe with this DPM computer as a parameter. For details, see the DPM Deployment Guide.

2) To attach the computer correctly to this DPM server, run the SetDpmServer tool on the protected computer.

3) If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, remove the protected data sources on this computer from active protection. Then, remove the entry of this computer from the Agents tab in the Management task area.

4) If server1.domain.com is a workgroup server, run SetDpmServer with the -UpdatePassword flag on the protected computer and Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 on the DPM server to update the password.

5) If the DPM server and the protected computer are not in the same domain, ensure that there is a two-way trust setup between the two domains.

Data Protection Manager Error ID: 270

The agent operation failed on servername.domain.com because DPM could not communicate with the DPM protection agent. The computer may be protected by another DPM server, or the protection agent may have been uninstalled on the protected computer. If servername.domain.com is a workgroup server, the password for the DPM user account could have been changed or may have expired.

again, i have uninstalled 2007 agent, and the domain account i use have admin privilege.

what am i missing? i can't find anything similar in the forum

• Edited by rickybud7 Monday, January 31, 2011 6:46 PM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the DPM server and the protected server are on the same domain?

You should try using "Setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername libdpm" (considering that libdpm is the DPM server's short name) and see if it resolves automatically the domain name.

Note : You should always run the DPMAgentInstaller_x64 file and not directly the msi file.

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:33 PM
  • oops, forget to mention it. YES, they are both on the same domain. 
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:34 PM
  • using just the server name without the domain, does NOT work as well. 

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:33 PM
  • anyone has any clue on how to resolve this?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:19 PM
  • The protected computer is unable to communicate with the DPM server.

Please check the following

1. DCOM is working fine between the machines using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259011 

2. Ping is working fine on both the machines (to and from). Using both netbios name and FQDN

2. Run net time /set command on both the machines and ensure that communication and time between AD are in sync

3. Authenticated users group is part of users group on both machines

4. Check the KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;978900

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I turned the Windows Firewall off, ran the command line (setdpmserver -dpmservername server.domain.local) , it worked, turned it back on, ran it again for fun, it worked again. DPM now sees the client and the client now sees the DPM.

Go figure.

Monday, December 21, 2015 7:49 PM