Connection problem using ProClarity Web Pro 6.3 over the internet RRS feed

• Question

• We have a large client that was using ProClarity Web Pro 6.2 to access our data over the internet.  When we upgraded to PAS 6.3 recently we made Web Pro 6.3 and the hotfix required downloads.  This has worked fine for most of our customers but one in particular is having problems.  Their corporate standard in Windows 2000 SP4 with IE 6.0.  This meets the ProClarity Web Pro 6.3 requiements that are published on my PAS CD.

The problem occurs when they try to open a page using Web Pro 6.3 (Web Standard works fine).  When the Web Pro page opens and the login window pops up they get an error after they have put in their UN and PW and clicked 'OK'.  The message is 'Could not log in to server . . .'.  When I log in as this user from any of my test machines everything works fine (I also access our servers over the internet, not locally).

These computers are laptops so we first tried putting in Sprint wireless access cards so that their internet acces goes around all of their corporate security.  I have added our server to 'Local Intranet', tried it in 'Trusted Sites', turned off all pop-up blockers, set their Active-X settings to wide open, turned off their local firewalls, made sure that no proxy server is in use and done multiple install/uninstall cycles all with the same error.  This behavior has been verified on multiple computers at the customers site.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

Todd
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• We never could figure out what was going on with this issue so the clients IT department rebuilt their machines that needed access to our data with Windows XP.  Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Todd

• Marked as answer by Ben.Scott Monday, January 26, 2009 11:13 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Todd,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.  What happens when these same users attempt an OLAP connection through Excel's Pivot Table mechanism?

Thanks,
    Amanda
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hi Todd,
    It seems that there must be a log somewhere that would indicate what is happening when the user attempts to connect.  If I understand correctly, you have your cubes exposed to the internet for Professional users to consume?  Are there any errors logged in the IIS logs or in a Profiler trace that you might capture when the user attempts to connect to the cube?

Thanks,

Bob
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Amanda,

Here are the test results:

1) Windows 2000, IE 6.0, Sprint card, ProClarity Web Pro, same problem.
    2) Windows 2000, IE 6.0, Sprint card, Excel, same problem
    3) Windows 2000, IE 6.0, corporaate internet connection, ProClarity Web Pro, same problem
    4) Windows 2000, IE 6.0, corporaate internet connection, Excel, same problem

5) Windows XP, IE 6.0, Sprint card, ProClarity Web Pro, works
    6) Windows XP, IE 6.0, Sprint card, Excel, did not test
    7) Windows XP, IE 6.0, corporaate internet connection, ProClarity Web Pro, works
    8) Windows XP, IE 6.0, corporaate internet connection, Excel, did not test

This seems to point to Windows 2000.  I verified again that they have Windows 2000 SP4 and that this is supposed to be a supported configuration.  Does that give you any new ideas?

Bob, thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, our cubes are exposed on the internet.  Next time I get a chance to test on the clients machines I will look at the system logs.

Amanda, is there a ProClarity log on the clients machine?

Thanks for the help on this.

Todd

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:07 PM
  • We never could figure out what was going on with this issue so the clients IT department rebuilt their machines that needed access to our data with Windows XP.  Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Todd

• Marked as answer by Ben.Scott Monday, January 26, 2009 11:13 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:50 PM