none
How to save a queried table into excel file and refreshed periodically? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a specific issue.

I have a workbook with multiple tables, each table in a separate sheet.

I want to apply power query on one table and display the result  out of this work book in power BI dashboard with all excel table features such as filtering.

is it possible?

If I use power bi desktop i loose the excel features for filtering. If I use power BI on the web interface all the sheets are displayed, and also cannot apply a query to hide some columns etc. 

Any help will be very useful.

Hari

Sunday, October 30, 2016 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hari,

you'll find many Excel-features in Power BI - they might just look totally different. Pls check out this link for the filters: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-add-a-filter-to-a-report/

Discover the advanced filter in your desktop-version.

Pls come back if there is a specific feature you're missing.

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Sunday, October 30, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Thanks Imke for the reply.

My requirement is something different.

I have an excel workbook with multiple tables. I want to publish one table to power bi as an excel table itself.

The users should be able to search for a particular record using a filter button at the column header after I publish

I found that this is possible if I use the Power BI web version, by connecting to the excel workbook on one drive. But all the sheets in the work book are displayed to the user. I am unable to show just one sheet. Also I cannot apply query to hide some columns.

Using desktop Power BI gives filter control but not on the table header. The Major issue is users cannot copy a cell from the table and paste it elsewhere. Also the IOS app for power BI does not have filter facility.

I hope you understand. May be there is another way.

Thanks again

Hari

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Oh I see.

Don't have much experience with tasks like that, so the only other suggestion I can make is to use parameters in order to show/hide columns.

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Hi Hari. For Power BI-specific questions, I'd recommend you try the Power BI Community site.

Ehren

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:17 PM
    Owner