Are there two different versions of Build 10240? RRS feed

• Question

• I had the Preview version of build 10240, and now also a clean installation of RTM Windows 10 (also build 10240).

The mouse drivers installed for the same computer are different, basically OEM ones are missing from the clean install.

The Windows Photo Viewer is missing from the clean install version of Windows 10.

What else are missing from the RTM version?

How do we communicate this confusion to our users?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:37 AM

Answers

• I had the Preview version of build 10240, and now also a clean installation of RTM Windows 10 (also build 10240).

The mouse drivers installed for the same computer are different, basically OEM ones are missing from the clean install.

The Windows Photo Viewer is missing from the clean install version of Windows 10.

Thanks.

They are the same... surprise,  surprise.

I was wondering that too until I was directed to this Windows article :

Excerpt.......  Source

Thank you to our Windows Insiders for helping us build Windows 10. If you’re a Windows Insider and running build 10240 – you already have the Windows 10 we are making available today. All you need to do is check Windows Update and make sure you have all the final updates.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, September 4, 2015 7:41 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:37 AM
  • As to Windows Photo Viewer, use this method posted by someone in another forum.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/8550-unable-replace-photos-app-photo-viewer-default-10240-a-2.html?s=30e1f367ee6f758b05431dc82f25b765

From one of the replies...........

Here is a zip file of .reg key for those that don't know how to make the registry key, Simply save the file to your desktop then extract the zip file & follow the prompts to add it to the registry.

photoviewer.zip (Credit nexus)

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, September 4, 2015 7:36 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:42 AM

All replies

Thanks.

They are the same... surprise,  surprise.

I was wondering that too until I was directed to this Windows article :

Excerpt.......  Source

Thank you to our Windows Insiders for helping us build Windows 10. If you’re a Windows Insider and running build 10240 – you already have the Windows 10 we are making available today. All you need to do is check Windows Update and make sure you have all the final updates.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, September 4, 2015 7:41 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:37 AM
  • As to Windows Photo Viewer, use this method posted by someone in another forum.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/8550-unable-replace-photos-app-photo-viewer-default-10240-a-2.html?s=30e1f367ee6f758b05431dc82f25b765

From one of the replies...........

Here is a zip file of .reg key for those that don't know how to make the registry key, Simply save the file to your desktop then extract the zip file & follow the prompts to add it to the registry.

photoviewer.zip (Credit nexus)

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, September 4, 2015 7:36 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my original post.

I had Windows 10 Preview since January, going through the various builds until 10240.

Then yesterday (Aug 31) I reformatted my C drive (of the same computer that was running Windows 10 Preview) and installed RTM Windows 10 from an ISO image.

It was when I found the differences, despite both having the same build numbers.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:53 AM
  • This solved the problem, but I am disappointed that I have to dirty the registry of a brand new installation.
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hi K.Kong,

There is only one version of Windows 10 build 10240.

The changes your found out might be caused by different configurations.

Regarding Windows 10 usage, pelase check:

Windows 10 help and How to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 7, 2015 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:01 AM