Fileshare Witness placement RRS feed

• Question

• I got 3 cas/ht servers and DAG-A with 2 nodes.  Witness folder sits on cas1. 

I am adding a second DAG-B with 2 nodes and I will be placing the  witness folder  on cas2.  Any issues with doing so??

thank u

Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hi There,

I don't see any issue but I'll add an Alternate File Share witness for each DAG.

So DAG-A will have a Alternate File Share witness on CAS2 and same for DAG-B on CAS1.

Exchange Blog:

www.ntweekly.com

MCSA, MCSE, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010,MCTS:Virtualization

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by WildPacket Friday, August 14, 2015 9:57 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:34 AM
  • thanks.

Yes I do have the first dags file share witness on cas1 and alternate on  cas2 but I only see the folder created on cas1 and not cas2.  why ...?

thoughts?

You don't need to define the Alternate Witness. Its just a placeholder. having said that, you wont see any folder or contents in the File Share Witness dir until its invoked, so what you are seeing is normal and expected.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, August 17, 2015 8:17 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi There,

I don't see any issue but I'll add an Alternate File Share witness for each DAG.

So DAG-A will have a Alternate File Share witness on CAS2 and same for DAG-B on CAS1.

Exchange Blog:

www.ntweekly.com

MCSA, MCSE, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010,MCTS:Virtualization

• Marked as answer by WildPacket Friday, August 14, 2015 9:57 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

No issues at all in that. But its better to put the file share in any of the AD server as in case of CAS and MBX server failure simultaneously for a site, you require the File share for surviving of DAG. Also, CAS servers doesn't get much impacted due to CAS array. So, in case if you have any AD server in that site or any other very critical and high available server, you can go for it. Otherwise, current configuration is totally fine.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:59 AM
  • thanks.

Yes I do have the first dags file share witness on cas1 and alternate on  cas2 but I only see the folder created on cas1 and not cas2.  why ...?

thoughts?

Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:33 PM
  • thanks.

thoughts?

You don't need to define the Alternate Witness. Its just a placeholder. having said that, you wont see any folder or contents in the File Share Witness dir until its invoked, so what you are seeing is normal and expected.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, August 17, 2015 8:17 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Right. Remember that the Alternate FSW does not automatically come into play (and ensure High Availability) if the "normal" FSW is unavailable. Enabling the Alt FSW is a manual process.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:54 PM
  • As the earlier comments suggest, that alternate FSW enabling is a manual process and it only comes into play if your primary FSW is down. It basically replaces the primary FSW in case of outage for maintaining quorum of DAG. However, if you wish you can always define primary and secondary FSWs, but only primary will work during normal operations.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 5:44 AM