none
Cannot change default dictionary from US. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Office 2016 installed.  Both Windows 10 and Office 2016 are set to English Canada.  When I open Word all Word and custom templates are set to English US.  When I change the language and default language of the template to English Canada, it reverts back to US; OR only the paragraph marker remains Canadian, not the text typed after changing the language.

Is there a bug or perhaps another way to set the language preferences?

thanks

Monday, July 8, 2019 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Kathy,

Please make sure you have installed English(Canada) as the default proofing language: click File > Options > Language

Then, you can click Review > Language > Set Proofing Language > select English(Canada) > click Set As Default > Yes.

In addition, the default language is determined by the language in Windows regional settings, and the language at the cursor may be displayed on the Word status bar by right clicking and checking the language option (if indeed it is not already checked). Please open your Control Panel and go to Clock and Region > Region, set English(Canada) as the default language there.

For more information, you can refer to the thread for help. 

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Hi Herb,

As mentioned, all language options are set to Canadian English. Windows 10, Office 2016 and templates.  Still the English (US) language remains.

Kathy

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to reset user options and registry settings in Word. Then perform above steps to have a check.

Please Note: This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. 

If you have any updates, post back to tell us.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:40 AM