Trouble with DVD/CD-ROM drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have no clue as to how something like this could be happening, but here's what's what. I have a Windows Vista Home Premium, Dell Studio 1555, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (if all that helps). It's my laptop, and no one else has used it but me, and I have a major problem that I hope can be fixed without having to hassle with turning it in and possibly having to deal with replacing it.

I'll take a CD or DVD--regionally correct, and nothing enchanced, just a normal CD or DVD--and put it in the drive. I hear the computer accepting it--meaning it's not simply being shoved in there--but then nothing else happens. Then when I open the Computer tab to manually select the DVD RW Drive (E:), it spits the disc back out and says 'Insert a Disc into drive E:' and has a link to the help section on chosing discs for burning and such [the same goes for drive F:]. I have tired multiple types of discs, I have disabled other drives that were listed, I have gone through all the help things I could that were even remotely related, I have done everything shy of throwing my lappy across the room in frustration [which is normally my first step].

Please, I really wanna fix this if at all possible, and like I mentioned earlier, avoid having to give it over to Dell services. In short, the drive doesn't work besides accepting and ejecting disks. Any and all help is appreciated, and a million thanks in advance.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:43 AM

All replies