Vista causes death to power supply RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Vista it seems to cut my power supply every once in a while. It happened once when installing updates and once when rebooting. When I press the reset switch the BIOS detects no devices. If I cut the power and enable it it does not turn on. After some fiddling it does. What is causing this? (This does not happen with XP on same system)
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:47 AM

Answers

• "It is 20pin but in a 24pin socket. Could that be causing it? My system is 64bit but I am using 32bit vista for compat reasons."

That's almost sure to be your problem.  You need a new PS (I suggest 400+ watts) with a 24 pin plug.  Vista is probably initializing your system in a slightly different way and your processor is running out of juice.  The extra pins on the 24 pin plug provide extra +12 and +3 volt current.

You were probably just lucky with your last OS, it must never have put too many power demands on the system at once.  You should definitely make sure to have a 24 pin plug on your PS if you have a MB that requires it.

Dave

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:37 PM

All replies

• Still refusing to fix. This time it dies when loading off the setup DVD. I almost lost a power supply this time. I can tell Microsoft that I am definetly NOT going to upgrade to Windows Vista or ANY OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS after Vista due to this disgraceful quality. This is WORSE than beta. This is of PRE ALPHA quality and I have used PRE ALPHA quality software that IS MORE STABLE THAN WINDOWS XP.

I hope Microsoft pull the CPP of their servers and tell all users to stop using this software IMMEDIETLY as this is AWFUL.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:29 PM
  • I've never heard of this happening, but I wonder if Vista is somehow initializing all your hard drives at the same time, while possibly maxing out the processor and video board (maybe for config purposes).

Can you say more about your system?  How many HDD's?  (any 15K SCSI's?)  What's your PS make and wattage?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:25 PM
  • 1 HDD on IDE (ATA 133). On my new system (where it cuts out even earlier) it has 2. That IDE one and a SATA 300 (but slowed down to 150). No SCSI.

I believe my power supply is either 350 or 400 W. Can't remember the make but it has been working fine since my last one failed.

It is 20pin but in a 24pin socket. Could that be causing it? My system is 64bit but I am using 32bit vista for compat reasons.

I think it trips the safety mechinism so it does not come back on.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:54 AM
  • "It is 20pin but in a 24pin socket. Could that be causing it? My system is 64bit but I am using 32bit vista for compat reasons."

That's almost sure to be your problem.  You need a new PS (I suggest 400+ watts) with a 24 pin plug.  Vista is probably initializing your system in a slightly different way and your processor is running out of juice.  The extra pins on the 24 pin plug provide extra +12 and +3 volt current.

You were probably just lucky with your last OS, it must never have put too many power demands on the system at once.  You should definitely make sure to have a 24 pin plug on your PS if you have a MB that requires it.

Dave

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:37 PM
  • Foxconn reccomend it. Thanks. Dont you just love XP when it does stuff like this!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:21 PM
  • Sorry, but you need to re-examine the power needs of your PC ... Vista will, indirectly, want more power from your system ... don't blame your own inadequacies on Vista.
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:57 PM
  • 400W will do the trick.

Good thing I got the beta

Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:59 PM
  •  lsproc wrote:

400W will do the trick.

Good thing I got the beta

I don't know about a 400W PSU doing the trick ... I have no idea what is in your PC.

I'm using a 350 Enermax, it is more than adequate for my test system needs inc running Vista.

Don't get cought up in "Big Watts" mean Good PSUs ... I've seen some damn *** 600W that would not hold a candle to my
    Enermax Noisetaker 535W EG565AX-VE(W) SFMA ATX2.0 SLI
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 5:24 PM
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+

nVidia GeForce 6600LE on PCI-E with external power (XFX)

Floppy Driver

LG GSA 4163B (The does everything you could ever want inc DVD ram writer)

1 ATA133 HDD. 120GB Maxtor

1 SATA 300 but slowed down to 150 WD Caviar SE 250GB

Microsoft Wireless mouse in USB

Microsof Keyboard in USB

Monitor (15"TFT) with built in speakers

Microphone

2 512mb sticks of DDR 400 RAM

And according to device manager:

Power button

Thursday, June 22, 2006 5:28 PM
  • Nothing out of the ordinary there ... but what is the MB (or make/model PC if branded) & what is the brand of PSU.

I still suspect you have an inadequate or faulting PSU ...
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:05 PM
  • MB is Foxconn WinFast CK804K8MA

I dunno what brand the PSU is but it is not unbranded/came with the case

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:02 PM
  •  lsproc wrote:

MB is Foxconn WinFast CK804K8MA

I dunno what brand the PSU is but it is not unbranded/came with the case

No disrespect intended, but it seems to me you have the cheapest components you could find.

Not unbranded? it came with the case ... so the case is?

Look I ain't trying to be funny here ... I see this every day ... I advise you get a decent PSU

You've already stated it is a 20pin in a 24 pin socket, so is not even designed to run your MB

Good components aren't cheap.
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:24 PM
  • Sorry! That was my typo. What I really meant is:

The power supply was bought from my computer shop (Maplin in my case) after another one died (but not due to Vista. It was a few years a go). This one was about £35. I cant remember what make it is. It does have a make on it and it does look like a professional company (it also got the standard safety stuff, CE mark etc.)

The one that came with the case packed in in 04.

While Foxconn dont say you absolutly must not use a 20pin psu, they do not reccomend it.

When you say I have the cheapest components do you mean everything. The mb, graphics card and processor cost me about £300 inc TAX and shipping.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:40 PM
  • Again I stress here I'm not trying to knock your system ... I have an advantage in that I can build your system for you and still make a profit on that £300

Have a look here ...
    http://madoka.3bsystems.co.uk/browse.php?catref=101
    ... no, I don't work for them but I do 'test' for them. Look at the Atrix 650 @ £33.19
    Then have a look at the Enermax 480 @ £63.83

I have had the "pleasure" of testing the Atrix ... after the third replacement, I gave up and just sent my report in ... sad to say they are still selling them and I'll take the Enermax 480 any-day, not cheap though is it?

What can seem a 'bargain' can turn out to be a nightmare.

Just one point, you do have power going to the 4pin connector near the CPU, don't you?

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:11 PM
  • Yeah. It seems to be this pin thing though. My PSU has been very good. Never had to replace it and never fails (untill vista comes along)
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:13 PM
  •  lsproc wrote:
    Yeah. It seems to be this pin thing though. My PSU has been very good. Never had to replace it and never fails (untill vista comes along)

As I said, Vista will tax your components into doing more work ...

Good luck.
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:21 PM
  • There might be a cheap fix.  You can buy an adapter for like $10 that converts a 20pin to a 24pin.  I am using it on my computer and am having no issues with the power supply on vista. 

Also you might want to test out the 64 version of vista.  It is still able to run all your 32 bit applications.  I have been able to run my video games and other programs on it just fine.   Just make sure when you go to run a program in vista you have to set the program to Windows Xp SP2 compatible.

From what I have seen from readin of the boards there are less problems with the 64 bit version.

Friday, June 23, 2006 1:34 PM
  • I have some very special programs that according to Paul Thurott dont work.

Besides I dont want to buy a DVD and the download finishes at 16mb.

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:00 PM
  • It worked. Thankyou! You are brilliant!

Now just to finish off fixing my graphics card. See my other thread about that.

I am now using a £40 450W X-POWER PSU. And it works a treat.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 7:11 PM