How to keep track if a document has been printed with mail merge RRS feed

• Question

• When i use mail merge i have a column in Excel called "print" and use this to filter what data should be printed.

After printed I clear the field(column) 

After adding more names i update manually this column so i only print the new entries, and the start over again.

Is it possible to update the datasource when printing? Maybe keep track of how many times the letter has been printed?

Please help,

Thanks

Jørgen 

JWS

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:22 PM

All replies

• A mailmerge can't update the data source that way. If you need a counter, use one in Excel and increment the count each time you merge a particular record.

Note also that you can use either:
    • the mailmerge filters to process only records added after a certain date (if your data source has a suitable date field) or;
    • the final dialogue that pops up before completing the merge to print only a certain range of records,
    neither of which requires modifying the data source.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:02 PM
  • There has to be a way to record what has been printed. I too have the same question. Can this be done in Access? Can a macro be written? If so, how would that look?

Thank you.

Saturday, November 2, 2019 5:49 PM
  • As I already said: A mailmerge can't update the data source that way. Yes, a macro could be written, but then it's no longer a mailmerge in the normal sense and the macro would most likely need to be run from Access or, in the OP's case, Excel. For an idea of what's involved in running a mailmerge from the data source - for Excel and not updating the records - see Run a Mailmerge from Excel, Sending the Output to Individual Files in the Mailmerge Tips & Tricks thread at: https://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21803-mailmerge-tips-tricks.html

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, November 2, 2019 8:29 PM