none
How to enable Advanced Error logging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm getting a weird error with one workflow action I coded.
    I'd like to debug what's going on so I want to enable advanced error logging.

In order to do it,  I'm following the steps described here: http://setspn.blogspot.ch/2010/06/fim-2010-enable-advanced-error-logging.html

After commenting out the line starting with <add name="ILMError"... and restarting the service, I'm get the following error for every FIM page:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.IdentityManagement.WebUI.Controls.UICacheUtils.GetCacheKey(CacheKey key) +266
       Microsoft.IdentityManagement.WebUI.Controls.UICacheUtils.RetrieveFromCache(UserNonSharedKey key) +25
       Microsoft.IdentityManagement.WebUI.Controls.NavigationBarConfigurationModel.RetrieveSiteNodeFromCache() +96
       Microsoft.IdentityManagement.WebUI.Controls.NavigationBarProvider.BuildSiteMap() +87
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.GetEditableSiteMapProvider(SiteMapDataSource dataSource) +43
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.AdjustForProviderMaximumDepth() +59
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +46
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +272
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6785

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1098.0

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
    How can I enable advanced logging?

Thanks!!
    Daniel.

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry you have not received a response until now.  The error indicates you have a null reference.  If you are trying to debug an action workflow, attach Visual Studio debugger to Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe. 

Reference: Debugging Custom Activities.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Sunday, September 17, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Hello,

I am also getting the same error after commenting the string in the web.config file. Main point is to disable custom errors for Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 as per the article: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2278.how-to-configure-detailed-error-pages-for-the-fim-portal.aspx?Sort=MostRecent&PageIndex=1

Once the string gets uncommented, portal starts working again

Does anyone have ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Yuriy

Best regards, Yuriy

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6:25 PM