What updates the Last Modified date on viewlsts.aspx page? RRS feed

• Question

• In the viewlsts.aspx page, (the page you get when you click View All Site Content), there is a column for Last Modified Date.   I have read that this date comes from either the last date content was updated in the list or the last date that the properties of the list were changed.  I am finding that this date is being updated in my environment on sites that are not even being used.  For example, sites that have not been touched in over 6 months, have no custom solutions, workflows or timer jobs running on them and have not had any structural changes.  No calculated colums either.  Yet, the Last Modified Dates in many cases are only a day or two ago.  Is there anything else that could impact this date?  For example, is there any system timer jobs that perform clean up, reporting, etc. actions that could change this date?  Our internal audit team is questioning the platform because we can't seem to reconcile the modified dates to any specific action, user or system.  Ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Dasani2008,

Based on my understanding, The last modified date is a property provided by SharePoint resources file, you can open the page in the server layouts folder, it is defined as:
    <th scope="col" nowrap width="25%"><SharePoint:EncodedLiteral runat="server" text="<%$Resources:wss,viewlsts_lastmodified%>" EncodeMethod='HtmlEncode'/></th>

Which is not controlled by timer job. Whenever you go to an item, click edit properties, and then you do not modify any properties, then click ok.  You can see from the viewlsts.aspx page, the last modified data has been changed. From your description, do you mean that the last modified date value changed for all lists/libraries, or just one list/library? The system situation will not effects the value if there are no custom related solutions on the lists that will do any updates, I think maybe it is modified by user.

Best Regards.

Qiao Wei

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Dasani2008,

Based on my understanding, The last modified date is a property provided by SharePoint resources file, you can open the page in the server layouts folder, it is defined as:
    <th scope="col" nowrap width="25%"><SharePoint:EncodedLiteral runat="server" text="<%$Resources:wss,viewlsts_lastmodified%>" EncodeMethod='HtmlEncode'/></th>

Which is not controlled by timer job. Whenever you go to an item, click edit properties, and then you do not modify any properties, then click ok.  You can see from the viewlsts.aspx page, the last modified data has been changed. From your description, do you mean that the last modified date value changed for all lists/libraries, or just one list/library? The system situation will not effects the value if there are no custom related solutions on the lists that will do any updates, I think maybe it is modified by user.

Best Regards.

Qiao Wei

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for that feedback.

It may be updated by a user, but I don't think it's updated intentionally, or even directly.  In fact, in some cases the dates for multiple lists are within a minute or so of each other, so it wouldn't make sense that a user would go into a list, go into an item and view the properties and then go out and to the same thing across multiple lists in the same site.  So I am wondering if there's something else that could trigger it.  Perhaps, something like a list that is integrated with a user's Outlook?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Dasani2008,

Operation in outlook is a possibility, if the use connect the list to outlook, then he can update the list using outlook, and synchronize to SharePoint site.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei

Friday, June 29, 2012 1:56 AM