none
Question about office 365 groups RRS feed

• Question

• My tenant has sharing turned on at top level. SPO has sharing turned off at site collection level.

Groups used to have external sharing allowed and i just turned off these two setting.

Turning this off what does it mean for all the existing groups that had sharing enabled before.

Secondly, if need arises can i have a single new group i create do sharing with external users. Not sure this can be done via powershell. I don't want to enable sharing on any other group except one or two. Please advice.

John

Friday, May 3, 2019 11:56 AM

All replies

• It's explained right there in the dialog - no new guest users can be added to groups, and existing ones will loose access. If you need to control the settings on per-group basis, you can indeed use PowerShell: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/users-groups-roles/groups-settings-cmdlets

And you can also toggle it just for the Group site via Set-SPOSite.

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:34 PM
  • I disabled both the toggles. I went into the group and enabled allow external members I am unable to add users now. Even though the TOP level toggle is off when i go to the a particular groups group settings , there is another toggle to allow external members which off by default as i turned off on the tenant and now i turned that on on just for a dummy group i was not able to add external users.

What is the best way to deny all external sharing for all groups yet allow a few selective groups to share.

Turned off at tenant:

Turned this on at Group but cannot add external users to group why?

Help here someone !

John

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:18 PM
  • The way to configure this on a per-group basis is in the article I linked above. Toggling the global settings will of course affect all groups. And the other toggle that you are referring to is just for receiving emails, on a per-group basis.
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Vasil,

Thanks. So just to make sure i understand this correctly.

• Don't turn anything off on Global level
    • Handle this on Group by group basis
    • How do we handle this when users have rights to create groups on the fly.
    • Is there a way i can automate this so it disables these settings om any groups created after a certain date.

Thanks !

John

Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:30 PM
  • Hi John,

Yes, your understanding is correct, you need to handle this on group by group basis instead of changing the setting on global level. 

To check if there is a way can automate this, i would recommend you open a ticket to office 365 support.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:33 AM