user profile remains after logoff RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

when I logoff my locked user the user profile under \documents and settings\lockedUserName still remains.
    There is only one file under \application data\WTablet\pen_tablet.dat which remains in the profile.

The system creates a new folder for every login named first by the users name and then followed by the users name and the computers name and after the third logon there will be a three digit number which is incremented for every login.

I have tried this with steady state and the former MS shared computer tool kit.
    Also I have tried different versions of the wacom tablet driver.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you very much and best regards
    dasda
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:34 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks for the update. So it seems that the issue is caused by wacom driver and there is not much to do with Windows SteadyState, right? Currently, the only thing we can do to keep partition C clean is to redirect user profile to another partition or network share. You can check the following paragraph in SteadyState handbook:

Redirecting the My Documents  Folder

By default, Windows SteadyState saves the user’s data to the My Documents folder associated with the user profile. Windows XP provides the capability to redirect the My Documents folder to a different location.

If you use Windows Disk Protection, but still want to provide users with the capability to save documents to the same location each time they log on the user profile, you can redirect the My Documents folder so that users can save data to a separate partition, a removable drive such as a USB drive, or to a mapped network drive. If you choose to save data to a separate partition, it must be a separate partition from the partition protected by Windows Disk Protection.

Before you redirect the My Documents folder to a different location, make sure that the Windows SteadyState environment is properly configured for the redirection of user data.

To configure Windows SteadyState for the redirection of user data

1.    Restart the computer to clear recent disk changes.

2.    Log on to the shared computer and start Windows SteadyState.

3.    Click Protect the Hard Disk, verify that Windows Disk Protection is turned on and that the Retain all changes permanently option is selected, and then click OK.

4.    Under User Settings, click the user profile for which you want to redirect the My Documents folder.

5.    Turn off all restrictions for the user profile.

6.    Restart the computer for Windows Disk Protection to save changes.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:43 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi dasda, does this issue occur if you do not install wacom tablet driver? If not, this can be a compatibility issue between the driver and Windows SteadyState.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Hi Sean,

yes it only occurs with the wacom driver installed. I have contacted the support from wacom and thay confirmed it. The driver holds a handle on the pen_tablet.dat file and this is the reason why it cannot be deleted on logoff.
    The handle is not hold all the time. When I logon as admin I can manually delete the file without any problem.

They advised me to use a centralized settings file which can be configured in the following way:

Write the following XML to c:\windows\system32\PenTabletDefaults.xml :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<root>

<PrefsLocation>c:\tablet.dat</PrefsLocation>

</root>

I have tried the solution but have no success. In further conversations they mentioned that certain versions of drivers do not support that but the 5.08-6 should do. But even with this version I don not get it working. The driver is always creating the .dat file in the users profile.

For now I got no elegant solution for this problem but I would try it harder because I dont like workarounds. There must be a clean solution - I hope ;P

thanks and best regards
    dasda

Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:22 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update. So it seems that the issue is caused by wacom driver and there is not much to do with Windows SteadyState, right? Currently, the only thing we can do to keep partition C clean is to redirect user profile to another partition or network share. You can check the following paragraph in SteadyState handbook:

Redirecting the My Documents  Folder

By default, Windows SteadyState saves the user’s data to the My Documents folder associated with the user profile. Windows XP provides the capability to redirect the My Documents folder to a different location.

If you use Windows Disk Protection, but still want to provide users with the capability to save documents to the same location each time they log on the user profile, you can redirect the My Documents folder so that users can save data to a separate partition, a removable drive such as a USB drive, or to a mapped network drive. If you choose to save data to a separate partition, it must be a separate partition from the partition protected by Windows Disk Protection.

Before you redirect the My Documents folder to a different location, make sure that the Windows SteadyState environment is properly configured for the redirection of user data.

To configure Windows SteadyState for the redirection of user data

1.    Restart the computer to clear recent disk changes.

2.    Log on to the shared computer and start Windows SteadyState.

3.    Click Protect the Hard Disk, verify that Windows Disk Protection is turned on and that the Retain all changes permanently option is selected, and then click OK.

4.    Under User Settings, click the user profile for which you want to redirect the My Documents folder.

5.    Turn off all restrictions for the user profile.

6.    Restart the computer for Windows Disk Protection to save changes.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:43 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Hello Sean,

thanks for your valueable information. Unfortunaltely there is no way for me to redirect the profile to a network share because there is no network. Another possibility would be a logoff script which cleans up the profile.
    A stay in touch with the devs @ wacom and they are very helpful.
    I will check out another driver version and will keep and you informed about how it turns out.

best regards
    dasda
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Hi there,

here is a solution for the problem.

I have been advised to use driver version 5-11.1 and to put a file named PenTabletDefaults.xml to %windir%\system32\ .
    The file has the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <root>
        <PrefsLocation>c:\WTablet\Pen_Tablet.dat</PrefsLocation>
    </root>

The folder c:\WTablet\Pen_Tablet.dat has to be fully accessable by the user.

This redirects the drivers settings file to a centralized folder outside of the user profile path.

The only thing which is bothering me now is that the logoff procedure now takes sometimes 1-2 minutes instead of just a few seconds.

Let me see if we can sort this out too.

best regards,
    dasda
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:23 AM