Very Slow Response for MOSS 2007 - Only affect one WFE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of our WFE is serving pages/scripts very slowly.

Once it hits the URL, it takes more than 30 seconds for the server to response a redirect to the welcome page. 

Even accessing the javascript takes more than 30 seconds. The actual download of the javascript is very fast though.

It seems like this particular WFE takes a long time to translate the actual location of the resource but the actual downloading of the resource is actually very fast.

There is no such problem with the other WFEs.

I have manually compared the settings between the WFEs but to no avail.

Recently we disconnect and connect the affected WFE from the farm to fix some issue with the enterprise search.

I am not sure if the disconnection and connection is causing the issue.

Appreciate if someone can provide some advice. Thanks in advance.

We are running on MOSS 2007 (Version 12.0.0.6612)

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Regards,

Dennis

Monday, January 4, 2016 8:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Jamie,

We uninstalled and installed the WFE but the slowness issue still persists.

In the end, we have to revert to a working VM snapshot image that was taken months ago.

The reverted WFE is working fine. (Not slow)

As the reverted WFE is an outdated version, we then reapplied the cumulative security patches and also applied the current application changes.

The updated WFE is also working fine. 

We do not know what caused the WFE slowness issue.

We suspect there was some corruption to the WFE during the security patches.

Regards,

Dennis

• Marked as answer by Dennis Lim ZQ Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:14 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:13 AM

All replies

• It's timing out on something before responding.

Pure hunch on my part but is HTTPS enabled on this farm? Was certificate manually setup after the WFE was re-added (config wizard doesn't do that for you).

What's in the ULS and Windows logs?

w: http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint | t: @JMcAllisterCH | YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieMcAllisterMVP

Monday, January 4, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi McAllister,

Thanks for your reply.

HTTPS is not enabled in the farm.

The response is always slow but the slow response time is not consistent. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds and sometimes it can take up to 1.5 minute.  

There is nothing on the windows Event viewer during the process the response is served.

There is some weird printout at the ULS logs when the server is serving the request. No sure if it is causing the issue.

Failed to look up string with key "XomlUrl", keyfile core. 

Localized resource for token 'XomlUrl' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Fields\fieldswss.xml".

Failed to look up string with key "RulesUrl", keyfile core. 

Localized resource for token 'RulesUrl' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\xml\base.xml". .

Regards,

Dennis.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi Dennis,

I don't think the Xomlurl message is a clue, it's related to a workflow or web part most likely.

I would log the time of a specific access request to the WFE and see what is in ULS from start to finish of the request.

I'd also try a reboot of the WFE, as I've seen similar issues just from App Pool problems in IIS.

w: http://www.the-north.com/sharepoint | t: @JMcAllisterCH | YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieMcAllisterMVP

• Unmarked as answer by Dennis Lim ZQ Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Jamie,

We uninstalled and installed the WFE but the slowness issue still persists.

In the end, we have to revert to a working VM snapshot image that was taken months ago.

The reverted WFE is working fine. (Not slow)

As the reverted WFE is an outdated version, we then reapplied the cumulative security patches and also applied the current application changes.

The updated WFE is also working fine. 

We do not know what caused the WFE slowness issue.

We suspect there was some corruption to the WFE during the security patches.

Regards,

Dennis

Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:13 AM