Agent on client machine. RRS feed

• Question

• I have to new Windows XP prof. laptops ready for deploy to new users and I want to make sure this laptop had SCE 2007 agent installed and this laptop is in my SCE 2007 server.

How can I check if this laptop has Agent installed and where?

How can I make sure this laptop is all ready to communicate with SCE 2007 server bcux this laptop will be for a remote user, who I won't see much.

Thanks

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Deep,

To manually install an agent, you must complete some additional steps to fully configure the agent and computer for management. Please follow the steps below:

To manually install an agent

1. On the computer on which you want to install the agent, from the Essentials 2007 Setup media, start SetupSCE.exe.

2. Click Agent to install an agent.

3. In the Agent Setup wizard, select the Specify Management Group Information check box.

4. On the Management Group Configuration page, specify the following:

In Management Group Name box, enter <Management Server netbios name>_MG.

In Management Server name box, enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Essentials 2007 Management Server.

5. Select either Local System or specify a domain user account for the agent action account.

6. Complete the Agent Setup wizard.

7. Copy the following certificates from the <Essentials 2007 folder>\Certificates folder of the Essentials 2007 Management Server to the <agent installation folder>\Certificates folder on the local computer:

WSUSSSLCert.cer
          WSUSCodeSigningCert.cer

8. If you are using local policy to configure managed computers, run the following utility, specifying the same settings submitted to the Feature Configuration Wizard on the Essentials 2007 Management Server (brackets indicate placeholders where you must supply a value):

[InstallDirectory]\SCECertPolicyConfigUtil.exe /PolicyType local /ManagementGroup [Essentials Management Server netbios name]_MG /SCEServer SCEServer.FQDN /AEMFileShare \\SCESERVER.FQDN\[AEMPATH] /AEMPort [port] /ConfigureRemoteControl [true/false] /ConfigureAEM [true/false]

For more details, click the link below:

How to Configure a Manually Installed System Center Essentials Agent
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437257.aspx

Thanks.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:53 AM
  • You should run the "Add new computers and device“ in computers space when the laptops connecting in the local network. If the agents are installed, you can find the computers in "All Computers" group.

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the SCE agent has been deployed to the laptop, you should see the laptop on the SCE console -> Computers -> All Computers.

On the laptop, you should find the service OpsMgr Health Service running. And the agent program should be installed on C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\.

Thanks,

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:38 AM
  • I just configured a remote users laptop and noticed that the laptop is not listed in SCE computers/all comoputers and also on the laptop C:\program files\there is no system center manager 2007.....????

My questions are as follow:

How can I install Agent manually and from where on these laptops and some other machines which aren't showing on SCE computers/all comoputers and also on the laptop C:\program files\there is no system center manager 2007

Thanks

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Hi Deep,

To manually install an agent, you must complete some additional steps to fully configure the agent and computer for management. Please follow the steps below:

To manually install an agent

1. On the computer on which you want to install the agent, from the Essentials 2007 Setup media, start SetupSCE.exe.

2. Click Agent to install an agent.

3. In the Agent Setup wizard, select the Specify Management Group Information check box.

4. On the Management Group Configuration page, specify the following:

In Management Group Name box, enter <Management Server netbios name>_MG.

In Management Server name box, enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Essentials 2007 Management Server.

5. Select either Local System or specify a domain user account for the agent action account.

6. Complete the Agent Setup wizard.

7. Copy the following certificates from the <Essentials 2007 folder>\Certificates folder of the Essentials 2007 Management Server to the <agent installation folder>\Certificates folder on the local computer:

WSUSSSLCert.cer
          WSUSCodeSigningCert.cer

8. If you are using local policy to configure managed computers, run the following utility, specifying the same settings submitted to the Feature Configuration Wizard on the Essentials 2007 Management Server (brackets indicate placeholders where you must supply a value):

[InstallDirectory]\SCECertPolicyConfigUtil.exe /PolicyType local /ManagementGroup [Essentials Management Server netbios name]_MG /SCEServer SCEServer.FQDN /AEMFileShare \\SCESERVER.FQDN\[AEMPATH] /AEMPort [port] /ConfigureRemoteControl [true/false] /ConfigureAEM [true/false]

For more details, click the link below:

How to Configure a Manually Installed System Center Essentials Agent
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437257.aspx

Thanks.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:53 AM
  • Thanks and it worked on those remote laptop which did not have agent installed.

How can I make sure in the future that the agent is installed automatically and how can I check and where. Because installing the agent manually can be lots of work because we do deploy lots of laptops and desktops everyday.

Thanks

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:52 PM
  • You should run the "Add new computers and device“ in computers space when the laptops connecting in the local network. If the agents are installed, you can find the computers in "All Computers" group.

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Thanks, it worked.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 8:48 PM