Win Xp hanging on welcome screen after image restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed win 7 x64 to 1 of 2 partitions on an ssd, ahci enabled.

I had a previous Acronis Trueimage file of a win xp disc image which i restored to the second partition on the ssd.

I ran Easy bcd and added the xp os.

But when I boot to xp os it hangs on the welcome screen indefinitely.

There are no files (there are directories obviously) in the root of the xp drive. But the boot info is on the win 7 partiton.

Is there a glaringly obvious answer to this? What log files does xp generate for bootup?

Cheers.
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 2:32 AM

Answers

• The two main reasons why XP hangs during boot is because it does not recognize the Windows 7 boot files and because it is installed onto a partition that does not match exactly the state it was originally.  Also, Windows XP does not cope with significant hardware changes.  Your current motherboard must be substantially the same as the hardware it was originally installed on. 

When doing dual boot it is highly recommended you install the oldest OS first.  The newer OS can recognize the boot files of the older OS, but the older OS cannot recognize the boot files of the newer OS.

Search the internet for "install XP after Windows 7" and you will find many suggestions on how to do it.

However, you are simply restoring XP to a foreign partition and I don't think that will work.  And XP does not have the attributes to run efficiently on a SSD.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:27 PM

All replies

• The two main reasons why XP hangs during boot is because it does not recognize the Windows 7 boot files and because it is installed onto a partition that does not match exactly the state it was originally.  Also, Windows XP does not cope with significant hardware changes.  Your current motherboard must be substantially the same as the hardware it was originally installed on. 

When doing dual boot it is highly recommended you install the oldest OS first.  The newer OS can recognize the boot files of the older OS, but the older OS cannot recognize the boot files of the newer OS.

Search the internet for "install XP after Windows 7" and you will find many suggestions on how to do it.

However, you are simply restoring XP to a foreign partition and I don't think that will work.  And XP does not have the attributes to run efficiently on a SSD.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Thanks,

the system is in the same state it was in before i re-installed (minus 1 of 2 4gb stcks). Before I wiped the ssd I had the xp os installed alongside the win 7 os on the ssd, all ok.

But I had a lot of sudden crashes in win7 and I wiped the partition, (allthough I later found out it was a stick of memory that went bad). I had to also wipe the xp os because win7 install would would crash at 66%. After removing the xp it installed ok.

So after re-installing win7 I just then restored the xp image (ahci enabled) to the same partition it was previously functioning ok on.

It gets to the welcome screen so the boot process seems fine.

So I think I will install a fresh xp, take an image, then restore and see if its a problem with acronis. Also I will look at the event log of the problem imag via a fresh xp install, because I cannot open them in win 7.

Cheers

Monday, December 3, 2012 11:07 PM