Windows Server 2003 IPNAT.SYS Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a windows server 2003 Dell PowerEdge R710 server with SQL 2008 installed as our document repository for our business onsite.

Currently the server had stopped responding to all communication several days ago, after triaging this issue and placing the server on its own network with a switch and laptop I was able to deduce that the server is not responding to any request but is able to ping other devices and remote into them fine. After further looking into this issue I was able to find that RRAS and ipnat.sys were responsible and after stopping ipnat.sys with "net stop ipnat.sys" command it worked fine. Several hours later I had lost connectivity to the server again, after attempting the same command it received error "System error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Looking into starting the firewall or starting the firewall service I get several more errors "Could not start windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

After which I attempting to view the services dependencies only to receive this error "Win32: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I believe all this is related to one another, after confirming RRAS was disabled and shut off. Through the rrasmgmt.msc console and through services ensuring that it in no way could be on. I am unable to some how 'Disengage' ipnat.sys from RRAS.

I am not sure how it changed back if the server wasn't rebooted after it started working.

If anyone knows how to disengage those two or possible how to hard disable RRAS through regedit OR how to reinstall ipnat.sys as a service or confirm if it does exist currently on my server and where it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

• Moved by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 3:12 AM Not SMS 2003 issue.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:12 PM