none
Profile/Desktop Redirection Policy Issue

Question

• Hello. We have an issue with multiple users and their redirected desktops. What is happening is some users are not getting their redirected desktops. This happens randomly throughout the company. All the users are in the same OU and the GPO is applied to the OU that the user accounts are located in. I did a GPUPDATE /R command and it shows that the policy has been applied. If the user logs into a different PC with their same username/password then they get their redirected desktop with no issues. The temporary fix that we have been doing is deleting their local profile and have them re log back on their pc then everything is working fine again. My questions are 1)What might be causing this? 2)Any other suggestions for us to try to find the cause and correct it so that we do not have to keep deleting the local profiles? There are two DC's. Both are 2012 Server. Domain/Forrest running in 2012 mode. Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:50 PM

Answers

• Thank you for all of your suggestions. I made a configuration change and the issue has not happened since. We are going on the third day without issues.. Im not sure exactly what was causing the issue but I found someone with the same issue and he suggested that I move the Desktop Redirection policy to the top of the list so that it takes precedence over all other GPO's. After I did this none of my user's have had an issue. All of their Desktops are redirecting without issue. If it happens again I will try your suggestion below but it looks like we are out of the woods now. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Greg.ny Friday, April 22, 2016 2:34 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Are there any related errors in Event Viewer?

If yes, please post it to us for further research.

Are there any related configurations about offline?

Here are two articles about folder redirection for your reference.

Best Practices for Folder Redirection in User Data and Settings Management

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784630(v=ws.10).aspx

Folder Redirection encounters errors and redirection fails

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781863(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for the reply but unfortunately none of those suggestions apply. I checked the eventvwr of both the affected users and the DC's and I dont see anything that pertains to this issue. No offline configurations either. The articles are for 2003 and I am running 2012. I dont think they pertain to my issue because the GPO configuration is correct but it seems that the GPO is not being applied even though GPRESULT /R shows that it is. The issue happens once in a while to random PC's. The random PC's decide that they are going to ignore the Desktop redirect GPO. If the user's local profile is deleted then they log back on again then the GPO will be applied correctly and they will get the redirected desktop. We did find a little more information. We made a copy of the profile folder before and after profile deletion/recreation and used a file/folder comparison program. The only files that show different are Desktop.lnk and NTUSER.dat. We decided try deleting those two files in hopes that when the user logs back on that they will be recreated. Unfortunately when they log back in instead of recreating those files they get a temporary profile instead which brings us back to having to delete and recreate the entire profile to fix the issue. We can not do this for every affected user in the company on a regular basis. Are there any tools or methods that can be used to figure out why the desktops stop applying the GPO? Thanks

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Here is an article below about troubleshoot Temporary user profile for your reference.

Temporary User Profiles

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2011/11/temporary-user-profiles/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi Greg,

Can you run gpresult /h c:\gpresult.html and see if it shows any policies being not applied on affected system? If possible please upload the same here.

-Umesh.S.K

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Thank you for all of your suggestions. I made a configuration change and the issue has not happened since. We are going on the third day without issues.. Im not sure exactly what was causing the issue but I found someone with the same issue and he suggested that I move the Desktop Redirection policy to the top of the list so that it takes precedence over all other GPO's. After I did this none of my user's have had an issue. All of their Desktops are redirecting without issue. If it happens again I will try your suggestion below but it looks like we are out of the woods now. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Greg.ny Friday, April 22, 2016 2:34 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:34 PM