none
Workgroup PC in Domain DNS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain environment.  I just created a DMZ outside my domain to run an FTP site.  The FTP server is running in a workgroup as it cant not access the Domain from inside the DMZ.

From a Domain joined PC...I can browse to the FTPServers shared folder by using the IP address.  
    I would like to add a DNS record into system so that our domain pc can browse to the workstation joined server just by name.

When I go into our DNS server it will only allow domain pc records...

How do I create a forward look up to this workstation server for my domain pcs?

I would rather not have to add the record to the host file on all my domain users pcs.
    I was thinking I might have to create a new Forward Lookup Zone, but im not sure this is the proper path either as I do not know if this would be considered a new Primary zone, a Secondary Zone (I dont think it would be) or a Stub Zone.

Thanks for help

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>When I go into our DNS server it will only allow domain pc records...

Yes, in DNS it will only allow domain records. You could add the A record and use the FQDN of the host to resolve.

When the machine is not a part of the domain, you need to use the FQDN of the host you are trying to resolve. 

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Bhavesh Khare Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:38 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:54 AM
  • When you go into DNS, it will not allow you to adjust the FQDN name.   So how do you create the A record with a different FQDN?
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Hi ,

You could not adjust the FQDN name in DNS. You need to resolve FQDN of host.domain.com.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:24 AM
  • I dont understand what you are telling me here.  I still dont know what to add\change and where to add\change it at.

Am I resolving the name at the DNS server? am I resolving the name at the Workgroup server? am I resolving the name at the Host file on the clients...  what am I being instructed to do here?

Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:50 PM