none
Windows server 2012 Essentials stuck installing at 94%

Question

• Right or wrong (probably the latter), in order to activate the backup utility in my Windows Server 2012 R2 Std server setup, I inadvertently launched an install sequence related to Windows Server Essentials which installed up to 94% and has been stuck there for 3 days.

Each time I open up the sever manager, the "Configure Windows Server Essentials" window pops up with the message "Preparing your server ..." & progress at 94%

I tried several forum fixes with no success.

Can I simply re-install Server 2012 R2 standard from my OEM CD or is there another way to get past this? Please help

Adriaandev

Saturday, September 23, 2017 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>Each time I open up the sever manager, the "Configure Windows Server Essentials" window pops up with the message "Preparing your server ..." & progress at 94%.
    Please confirm that if KB 2914651 is helpful - The Post-Deployment Configuration task may fail after you install the Windows Server Essentials Experience role on Windows Server 2012 R2:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2914651/the-post-deployment-configuration-task-may-fail-after-you-install-the

Please note that there are limitations for Windows Server Essentials Experience role:
    1. It can only be deployed into a single domain.
    2. A read-only domain controller cannot exist in your domain.

If problem persists, Please provide more information, such as:
    1. Server role which has been already installed on this server.
    2. Simple description of your domain, such as PDC, DC device and number.

Besides, if there is installation medium and no important data to be kept, you can just re-install system using the OEM CD, and enable Essentials Experience role. If there is no existing domain, or you want to install Windows Server Essentials to create a new Active Directory environment, once the system has been complete installed, just add Windows Server Essentials Experience role, this wizard will automatically help you to complete the AD DS/DNS installation and configuration.  

If there is existing domain, or, you want to install Windows Server Essentials in an existing Active Directory environment. Reference blog “Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment” for detail steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/02/17/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-standarddatacenter-with-windows-server-essentials-experience-role-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Eve Wang

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Hi Eve,

Thank you for your advice. I have been unaware of your response (was not notified). The problem is still there so I will look into your advice for an existing single domain with an existing active directory environment. As soon as I get a result, I will provide feedback. Except for this issue, everything else is functioning properly.

adriaandev

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Update: I reviewed the steps in your recommendations for “Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment” . The procedure described by the link you provided is exactly as I had done with the exact same result at the end showing the yellow notification flag in the Server Manager. When I select the flag, the small pop-u

In conclusion, p window appears as in the guide, but the option to select "Configure Windows Server Essentials" shows but is "dead" ... unresponsive to click on. There is also a drop down choice to Stop the process which is not working. There is also a progress bar in that small window that indicates something is running. In conclusion, the steps described did not solve the issue.

A possibility: Under "Manage", "Add Roles and Features Wizard", I can see those roles and features visible in the guide shows as greyed out and "installed", but it is possible that all were not completed. Do you have a list of all the roles and features that were supposed to be installed in deploying the server essentials (so I may check)?

Any other advice?

adriaandev

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 10:09 PM
  • Since my previous post, I uninstalled Windows Server Essentials and re-installed it per protocol twice. Each time the progress stopped at 94% complete yet all other reports stated the install was complete successful, despite the yellow Alert and persistent 95% complete pop-up window.

I conclude that there is a bug in the installation program and decided to simply uninstall windows server essentials. I purchased third party backup software that works great and I am content to let this issue rest ... too much pain and no pleasure.

Thank you for attempting to help but I cannot waste any more time on it.

adriaandev

Thursday, October 05, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

I am quite understanding about the inconvenience it had brought to you. Sorry for no helpful information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:27 AM