Who Installed This SharePoint Services 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• My small company has a SharePoint services 3.0 sp2 installed on Windows 2003 server. I am responsible to migrate their AD forest and to decommission this SharePoint site including Windows 2003 server very soon. This server and SharePoint Services was in production years before I came aboard and no one know who installed it?

How do I find out under which account this SharePoint Services 3.0 was installed?

If I have to look into registry key and find out the SID of the account that was used to install it, my next question would be how do I find out the account name by its SID number instead of reading each individual AD account? There are over 300 of AD User Accounts, thanks.

Thang Mo

Monday, August 8, 2016 2:59 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:18 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi Thang

You may find setup log files in C:\Windows\%TEMP% folder if Setup was run by the system. If Setup was run under a user’s account, it should be in the user's %TEMP% folder. Depending upon how long back it was, you may or may not find helpful information.

Try to find account using these guidelines:

1. This account must be assigned to the securityadmin and dbcreatorSQL Server security roles during setup and configuration.

2. Membership in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group.

3. Membership in the WSS_WPG role.

4. db_owner on the SharePoint server farm configuration database

5. db_owner on the SharePoint Central Administration content database

6. Should be assigned local administrator permissions.

You can also check for WSS services running under services.msc and get hold of account running for SP services.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Mohit

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:12 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 5:21 PM

All replies

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:18 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi Thang

You may find setup log files in C:\Windows\%TEMP% folder if Setup was run by the system. If Setup was run under a user’s account, it should be in the user's %TEMP% folder. Depending upon how long back it was, you may or may not find helpful information.

Try to find account using these guidelines:

1. This account must be assigned to the securityadmin and dbcreatorSQL Server security roles during setup and configuration.

2. Membership in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG Windows security group.

3. Membership in the WSS_WPG role.

4. db_owner on the SharePoint server farm configuration database

5. db_owner on the SharePoint Central Administration content database

6. Should be assigned local administrator permissions.

You can also check for WSS services running under services.msc and get hold of account running for SP services.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Mohit

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:12 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 5:21 PM