Metered network connection warning in Outlook when using Dongle (cellular mode) in windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing this issue when using USB dongle cellular mode tried below steps but could not modify the values in regedit 

Error : cannot edit error writing value new contents

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost
    Value name: 3G
    Value name: 4G
    Value name: Default
    Value name: Ethernet
    Value name: Wifi
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Setting the value to 1 means it is an unmetered network connection.
    Setting the value to 2 means it is a metered network connection.

Under Network settings > Metered connection is already turned off.

Note: I'm getting this error even in local admin profile.

Is there any thing need to be modified in gpedit.msc?

Or is there any commands to modify the regedit value.

Please help.

• Edited by Say_much Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:12 PM
    Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:14 AM

All replies

• I think those entries are the default settings for each type of connection. You can independently change the value for a specific connection of any type from the network property settings of that connection.
    Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Metered connection is already turned off under network settings > Cellular > Advanced Options.

I need to modify the registry value to 1, instead of 2 but am unable to do so due to below error even 

even i tried in local admin profile.

Error : cannot edit error writing value new contents

Monday, June 24, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

In my lab environment, when Metered connection is turned off in network property, the default registry keys are as follows:

If we set the value 3G or 4G to 1, it will also prompt the Error : cannot edit error writing value new contents. This is by default.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:55 PM