The Dreaded 'Devices and Printers' hang RRS feed

• Question

• So the internet is filled with issues and solutions regarding the issue where a user opens devices and printers on win7 and occasionally the green bar slowly progresses until a timeout and then displays nothing.

We are experiencing this issue across our entire fleet, HP desktops (DC 7900, DC8100 and DC8200s).  This has lead me away from driver issues - however there may be a common driver that is causing this across all models. We run several Konica MFDs but everyone has the HP UPD installed.

Most solutions involve doing something with the bluetooth service. This did not work for us, along with many of the other ideas that are out there, including removal of AV.

If the user gets the problem it won't go away by itself. It is occasionally fixed with a reboot. If you terminate explorer and re-launch the applet everything comes back.

When the user has the problem, if you start shell:printersfolder then all the printers appear instantly. This makes me think that it is an issue with the 'devices' rather than the 'printers' - but as they are bundled in together we have the issue.

We are running out of things to look for and I would appreciate any suggestions of where to look next.

• Edited by -LJ- Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:27 AM spelling is rubbish
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:20 AM

Answers

• Well after a round of windows updates the issue has gone away. I read up on every update that was installed and can only suggest that a .Net update fixed this as the applet appears to be .Net.
    • Marked as answer by -LJ- Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To reinstall these printers first. If the issue persists, clear printing subsystem and reinstall printers again.

Install a printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-a-printer

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Something tells me that -LJ- has already tried these fundamental troubleshooting steps as stated quite clearly in his post.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:58 AM
  • PrinterGuru, your right.

These are all fresh installs of win7 with fresh printer installations - however I still doubt it is a problem with the printers at all. It is something to do with the discovery that occurs when this applet is opened.

Something is happening during the day that causes this hang.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Well after a round of windows updates the issue has gone away. I read up on every update that was installed and can only suggest that a .Net update fixed this as the applet appears to be .Net.
    • Marked as answer by -LJ- Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:22 AM