NETLOGON issues on Windows SBS 2008 and Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a windows SBS 2008 server which was the acting DC on my network. I added a Windows 2012 R2 server as a member server then promoted to a DC. I ran SBS 2008 BPA before the migration with no errors and even when I promoted the 2012 machine, found no errors preventing promotion. however, after promotion, I ran dcdiag and found the following error:

Unable to connect to the NETLOGON share! (\\COMPANY\netlogon)

[SERVER] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,

The network name cannot be found..

In event viewer, after restarting the netlogon service, I found the following error:

The Netlogon service could not create server share C:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\COMPANY\SCRIPTS.  The following error occurred:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I have checked the SBS server and it seems there is no NETLOGON folder. I've looked through SYSVOL and cant find a scripts folder. any ideas?

Elroy

Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you that whether you want to migrate from SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2012 R2, or WS 2012 R2 with Essentials Experience role installed?

I would recommend you to confirm that if you have followed the official migration steps and early steps all have been done.

For Windows Server 2012 R2 with Essentials Experience role installed, reference - Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633.aspx

For Windows Server 2012 R2, reference - Transition from Small Business Server to Standard Windows Server:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/infratalks/2012/09/06/transition-from-small-business-server-to-standard-windows-server/

Besides, verify that the DFS Replication service and the Netlogon service have a status of Started. Or, try to restart these 2 services.

Open CMD, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    net share

If neither %systemroot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\ nor %systemroot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<Domain Name>\SCRIPTS are present, run “dcdiag /test:replications” to verify Active Directory Replication.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 15, 2016 6:03 AM