Alarts in SCE 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have some issues in SCE, which i am sure you can help me to resolve. Some of the Alerts are CPU utilization related, some of are Memory related. Most of my workstations are ok, i believe and i don't understand why these problems are causing. is there any way i can resolve this? IF not, i am happy to disable these rules. Please let me how to disable --these step-by-step (if you can pls). Here are some Alerts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart no 1----------- 

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, EXPLORER* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer.CPUUtilization.Performance.Monitor Instance name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer Instance ID: {849DAC82-A84D-36EE-4EA9-FF2BBAC53BB1} Management group: SERVER-SCE_MG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart no 2

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, MSACCESS* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access

Instance ID: {088D68A0-0EB7-C044-0185-8417052A04FD}

Management group: SERVER-SCE_MG
    -------------------------------------------------

Alart 3

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, EXPLORER* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer.MemoryUtilization.Performance.Monitor

Instance name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer

Instance ID: {2B73DE12-2200-9189-C478-5AA753523120}

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 4

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, POWERPNT* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.PowerPoint.CPUUtilization.Performance.Monitor

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.PowerPoint

Instance ID: {83E220FB-177D-4B7B-ADC3-F3A8E0FE3F8B}

---------------------------------------------------

Alart 5

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, MSPUB* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Publisher.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Publisher

Instance ID: {ECF18DE6-FE70-32B7-E57A-45C5B2FF2323}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 6

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, INFOPATH* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.InfoPath.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.InfoPath

Instance ID: {05D921D2-BCDC-934A-40B6-A064B4E3FA85}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 7

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, MSACCESS* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access.CPUUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access

Instance ID: {3132E14A-0B1B-6AE7-A161-4C3F292FAA43}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

last question:

When i tried to disable Microsoft Office 2003 InfoPath, i couldn't find that management pack, instad i did find one management pack which is

ID: Microsoft.InformationWorker.Office.2003

Name:Information Worker Office 2003"

Version: 6.0.50000.0

Description: Microsoft Information Worker Office 2003 Management Pack: This management pack discovers and monitors all Office 2003 applications.

Do I have to disable or overrid this management pack to stop all office related Alarts ?

Or

I have to go to Authoring > Management Pack Objects > Rules 

and than Look for "Management Pack Objects"

Find for the rule under Type:Health Service(2), right click and select "Overrides" , "Disable the Rule", From all Objects of type: Health Service". If i do this, does it disable performance monitoring for all office applications?  

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Mohammad khan

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A1: It should be enough. 

A2: You can find every latest MP for SCE from the link below:

System Center Essentials 2007 Catalog

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sce/cc462787.aspx

A3: If you delete the MP, you cannot monitor Office 2007 applications. If possible, use the latest version of the MPs, which always resolved some known problems of the old version. For example, to monitor Office 2003 and 2007, I would suggest the following MP:

Microsoft Information Worker Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D898D5FE-1FF2-4C91-ABBE-63ADC3BFA1C4&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Download the .MSI file and install it to any folder. It will produce a .MP file and a guide document, which can tell you how to use this MP.

Generally, you can import any Management Pack by these steps:

1. Open SCE console -> Administration space
    2. Right click on Management Packs and select "Import Management Packs..."
    3. Navigate to the folde include the .MP file
    4. Select the .MP file and click "Open"
    5. Read the Management Pack details and click "Import"

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohammad,

Which version of SCE are you using, RTM or SP1? We strongly recommend you update your SCE server to SP1, which you can download from here:

System Center Essentials 2007 Service Pack 1
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sce/cc304525.aspx

You can override the following rules:

1. Navigate to the Authoring Space in the Console.

2. Select “Rules” under “Management Pack Objects”.

3. Type “Performance Data Source Module” in the “Look for:” box and click “Find Now”.  Be sure a Scope is not set or filtering the “Health Service” Target.

4. Find the rule, “Performance Data Source Module could not find a performance counter” under “Type: Health Service (2)”, right-click, select “Overrides”, “Disable the Rule”, “For all objects of type:  Health Service”.

5. When prompted, “Are you sure you want to disable this rule for Health Service?” click “Yes. 

Also, from the error message, some error message from Office 2007. If you do not want to monitor these objects, you can try to remove information worker office 2007 from administration->management packs. Then, close these alerts to see if it works fine.

Those events were generated by the Information Worker Office 2003(or 2007 ,2000 etc) MP. They are used for collecting performance data from transient processes of Office applications. If those events were not meaningful for you (or you do not need these MPs), you can delete those MPs as a test.

Hope it helps.

Friday, September 5, 2008 10:06 AM
  •  

Hi Yog,

Thanks you very much for your answer. According to your advice, I have stopped most “Performance Module could not find a performance counter” problems by overriding the rule for all objects of type: Health Service

Q 1: Is this enough to stop the below alart as well or I have do something else as well?

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, IEXPLORE* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.InternetExplorer.7.0.CPUUtilization.Performance.Monitor

Instance name: Microsoft.Windows.InternetExplorer.7.0

Instance ID: {35E0CB7D-0440-CA2D-7F70-8CD7150B7CE8}

Q 2: I have stopped Information Worker Office 2003 MP which also stopped lots of error to come back. Thanks for this

But how to I bring back that MP in future If I need to?

Q 3: I haven’t deleted “Information Worker Office 2007” MP  yet as I have not deployed office 2007 yet, which I am going to so in future. I have only installed project and visio 2007 separately.

“If I delete Information Worker Office 2007” will it be a problem to monitor Office 2007 applications activities, which Microsoft will resolved these problems in future Essentials products?

Thanks again.

Mohammad Khan

Monday, September 8, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

A1: It should be enough. 

A2: You can find every latest MP for SCE from the link below:

System Center Essentials 2007 Catalog

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sce/cc462787.aspx

A3: If you delete the MP, you cannot monitor Office 2007 applications. If possible, use the latest version of the MPs, which always resolved some known problems of the old version. For example, to monitor Office 2003 and 2007, I would suggest the following MP:

Microsoft Information Worker Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D898D5FE-1FF2-4C91-ABBE-63ADC3BFA1C4&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hi Yog,

Thank you very much. I higly appreciate your help.

I found this MP from the link you have given.

System Center Pack for Vendor Release Date
    Version
    System Center Pack Name / Description / Languages Provide Feedback
    Microsoft Information Worker Microsoft
    5/27/2008
    (6.0.6278.0)
    Microsoft
    5/27/2008
    (6.0.6278.0)
    Information Worker Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    The Microsoft Information Worker Management Pack monitors the health, reliability, and performance of Microsoft Office applications and certain Microsoft Windows applications.
    Provide Feedback

Can you please tell me how do i installa and configure  this MP.

Thanks in advance.

Mohammad Khan

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

Download the .MSI file and install it to any folder. It will produce a .MP file and a guide document, which can tell you how to use this MP.

Generally, you can import any Management Pack by these steps:

1. Open SCE console -> Administration space
    2. Right click on Management Packs and select "Import Management Packs..."
    3. Navigate to the folde include the .MP file
    4. Select the .MP file and click "Open"
    5. Read the Management Pack details and click "Import"

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:11 AM
  • Hi Yog,

I am please that my “Alerts” are not showing anymore which related to Information worker office 2003 MP. And I know how to import new MPs now  

I am please to get help from Technet. I will keep posting my problems in future.

Once again Thanks to Yog

Mohammad Khan

Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Hi Mohammad Khan,

Very gald to hear it helps.  My pleasure.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:59 AM